Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/24 00:20:03 UTC

Re: mailing lists for components [WAS Re: [PROPOSAL] subproject that's a home for bricks reusable in java web applications]

On 6/23/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 14:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> > 4.1 in the guidelines repeats the error that I thought was fixed in the
> > j-c guidelines saying that each package has its own mailing list.  If
> > that is intentional, I think that is a *bad* idea, especially to start.
>
> it was intentional in as much as it was a copy of the jakarta commons
> charter :)
>
> > Don't like the many little lists implied by 11 -- dev + user works fine
> > in j-c (I know some disagree, but I personally view this as the key to
> > the health of j-c)
>
> i agree. just dev and user lists.
>
> in jakarta commons, the common mailing lists hold together the single
> community. i'd like to see just one mailing list with components using
> prefixing (as per jakarta commons). i'd like to see changes to the draft
> so that it's clear that this will be the arrangement.
>
> opinions?

+1 (non-binding)

In conjunction to the points stated above, I see this as the key value
add to the Taglibs community (if Taglibs indeed decides to join in).
In my opinion, separate mailing lists will make this a harder sell to
Taglibs.

-Rahul