Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul Andrews <pa...@prospeed.net> on 2006/12/28 22:27:40 UTC

whitelisting "from" and not "return path" addresses

HI,
After whitelisting my own email address, it seems that spammers will frequently put my own email address in the "return path" but not in the "from". Is it possible for Spam Assassin to make a distinction between the two so that it will block such messages?  Below is an example of such headers.

----------------------

From: "Leonard West" <sc...@fm-bank.com>
To: pandrews@prospeed.net
Subject: wicked shall not; that he his wages be in sending a
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:17:10 +0200

Paul

Re: whitelisting "from" and not "return path" addresses

Posted by JamesDR <ja...@trusswood.net>.
Paul Andrews wrote:
> HI,
> After whitelisting my own email address, it seems that spammers will
> frequently put my own email address in the "return path" but not in the
> "from". Is it possible for Spam Assassin to make a distinction between
> the two so that it will block such messages?  Below is an example of
> such headers.

You'd not want to just whitelist your name, you'd want to tie it to
something, like if you auth'd (not sure how to do this), SPF
(whitelist_from_spf), or ip (whitelist_from_rcvd).

It is very easy for spammers to use your email as the 'sender'. Another
option is to (just shots in the dark) to override the whitelist (+100 or
so) when the mail is from you... to you. I'm not sure how one would do
this. But these are all ideas.

James