Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Holman, Cal" <CH...@Paymentech.com> on 2002/08/21 19:06:52 UTC

[OT] Tomecat 4.1.x and Struts

Craig>> I have tried 4.1.x but keep getting a Jasper complier error on a
TilesAction so I have stayed away.  I searched the archives and there was a
bug referencing Struts and Jasper complier errors.  I just tried 4.1.9 and
same thing. I would love to be on 4.1.x because your management interface is
great.  I just figured Cedric, or I, was doing something 4.1.x did not like.
The examples work fine. Any thoughts?

at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:4
77)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:1
82)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:289)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:240)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.
java:684)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatch
er.java:575)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher
.java:498)
	at
com.holmansite.view.PortalLayoutAction.doPerform(PortalLayoutAction.java:195
)
	at
com.holmansite.controller.portal.HolmanSiteTilesAction.execute(HolmanSiteTil
esAction.java:58)
	at
org.apache.struts.tiles.actions.TilesAction.execute(TilesAction.java:120)

Cal

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Holman, Cal wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:06:52 -0500
> From: "Holman, Cal" <CH...@Paymentech.com>
> Subject: [OT] Tomecat 4.1.x and Struts
>
> Craig>> I have tried 4.1.x but keep getting a Jasper complier error on a
> TilesAction so I have stayed away.  I searched the archives and there was a
> bug referencing Struts and Jasper complier errors.  I just tried 4.1.9 and
> same thing. I would love to be on 4.1.x because your management interface is
> great.  I just figured Cedric, or I, was doing something 4.1.x did not like.
> The examples work fine. Any thoughts?

Has this ever been reported as a bug against Tomcat?  If not, I can
guarantee that it won't get fixed (because nobody there will know about it
:-).  If it has been reported, you might need to be patient - many of the
committers are focused on a deliverable for Tomcat 5 in the very near
term.

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

Also, the stack trace below doesn't look complete -- there ought to have
been a "root cause" to the exception report that contains more details
about why Jasper didn't like the page.  This might also be in the Tomcat
logs instead of in the stack trace on the page itself.

Finally, it looks like you are accessing this page via a
RequestDispatcher.include() from your Action (which seems somewhat
unusual for a Struts based app).  Does the JSP page compile under 4.1.9 if
you access it directly from the browser?  Even though this wouldn't be the
normal mode of operation, please check it out -- that will eliminate the
possibility that the problem is actually in Tiles's handling of includes.

Craig