Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2015/07/07 17:17:45 UTC

Re: Apache Extras, Google Code and Sourceforge

On 6/24/15 3:53 PM, David Nalley wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
> <Ro...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Edited out private stuff and moved to ComDev list since we are now making decisions about Apache Extras
>>
>> To your options below:
>>
>> We've always said Apache will provide no management of this other than to make it available. To this end I propose we do b) (only the projects that are original to Apache Extras), which includes projects with no content.
>>
>> In terms of the name clash is it possible to provide a list of the 39 affected projects? If so then we can prune any that are empty from that shorter list and attempt to notify the owners of the others. Failing any response asking us to do otherwise I suggest we add an "ax-" prefix to those project names (I am assuming this is just the project name in URLs and similar).
>>

> The collisions are at the bottom of this paste.:
> https://paste.apache.org/4hpd

This paste has expired.  Can it be re-posted?

> You'll notice some are things like 'maven' which is interesting,
> because we have Maven as a TLP.
> But on closer inspection - Maven seems to have no content:
> https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/maven/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk
>
> Similar story on Jena and a number of others.
>
> --David
>
>> One other thing that will need to be done once migration is complete is an update of DNS. http://apache-extras.com currently redirects to https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/

And two more things after migration:

* The Google Code project landing page content has no equivalent (it can't fit
into the SourceForge project description field automatically) so that will have
to be manually handled by each project.  Depends on the content, it shouldn't be
hard but will have to be copied into the project description field if it fits or
turned into a wiki page if it doesn't.

* Mark each project as moved on the Google Code side.  Instructions at
https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Google%20Code%20Importer/#whats-next

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal