Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Donie Kelly <do...@tecnomen.ie> on 2001/11/01 12:38:38 UTC

Filters in Tomcat 4.0

We have  a filter attached to a servlet. Works fine except that on initial startup of Tomcat the filter fails to run the first time. It works on subsequent requests without problems though.

Any idea my the first request is a problem?
Regards
Donie

This message has been posted through the Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 F.A.Q.
on line forum, and can be seen at:
<http://nagoya.apache.org:8080/jive/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=9>
For more informations about the on-line Jakarta forums, please go to:
<http://nagoya.apache.org:8080/jive/>

Re: Filters in Tomcat 4.0

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Donie Kelly <do...@tecnomen.ie> wrote:

Sorry Craig but I would have include more information if I had it...
Basically, no exceptions are thrown. It just acts as if the filter is not
there. Subsequent requests work fine.

What more can I say?

Re: Filters in Tomcat 4.0

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

What does "fails to run" mean?  Does it throw an exception?

It's difficult to respond to a question like this without a lot more
details.

Re: Filters in Tomcat 4.0

Posted by Christoph Sch?nfeld <cs...@alcedis.de>.
Donie,

perhaps you have some initialization code in the doFilter method? That would explain why the first request does not do what it should but all the subsequent runs do.
Check that all initialization code is in the constructor and/or in init(FilterConfig) method of your filter.

Christoph

Re: Filters in Tomcat 4.0

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On -1 xxx -1, Donie Kelly wrote:

> From: Donie Kelly <do...@tecnomen.ie>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Filters in Tomcat 4.0
>
> We have a filter attached to a servlet. Works fine except that on
> initial startup of Tomcat the filter fails to run the first time. It
> works on subsequent requests without problems though.

What does "fails to run" mean?  Does it throw an exception?

It's difficult to respond to a question like this without a lot more
details.

> Any idea my the first request is a problem?
> Regards
> Donie

Craig