Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> on 2006/02/17 23:45:05 UTC

is chainsaw remote tailing unsupported?

First, I finally got SFTP URL's working with Chainsaw.  None of my desktop SSH
clients store anything the known_hosts file.  They either keep info in the
registry or somewhere else, but never in known_hosts.  I created the entries by
using a simple java class to set strict host key checking to "no"...

SftpFileSystemConfigBuilder.getInstance().setStrictHostKeyChecking(opts, "no");

JSCH then added entries to my known_hosts file which was readable by JSCH when
I, later, used an sftp:// URL to point to a log file in the chainsaw config.
Cool!  However, I wish there was a way not to have to put my password in the
sftp:// URL.  I'd like to be automatically authenticated such as when I use
Putty to connect to an SFTP server and load my key up in Pageant (after
entering my passphrase).  It just uses that info and auto-logs me in.  It would
be nice if I could just use...

sftp://user@somehost.com/path/to/file.log

...and it would just authenticate me as the specified user in the URL, using the
key that I validated with my passphrase stored in memory. If anyone has tips on
doing that with VFS/JSCH, I would be greatful!  Anyway, I'm happy that things
are basically working.  On to the next issue...

Now that it works, I'm noticing that tailing doesn't work with FTP or SFTP.  Is
remote tailing unsupported or should that be a working feature for both local
and remote?  In my config, I have...

<param name="tailing" value="true"/>

That should be all I need, right?

Jake