Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/10/22 08:28:05 UTC

CVS Commit Mails

Hi,

after I commit something to our CVS, the send mail takes
approx. 10 hours to arrive. Is this a general problem,
or am I the only one with this delay?

Carsten

Re: CVS Commit Mails

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Nah...

I wrote this a month ago:

> I might say to the poor new committers:
>
> "I think you've already got many 'cvs commit: ' messages from
> some mailing lists you are now on. Please take a look at one of the
> messages and  'Return-Path:' Header Line. I think it would be such as
> Then, please post a blank body message to
> '$MLNAME-allow-subscribe-$user=apache.org@$tlp.apache.org',
> (for the given $module, $tlp, and $user)
> and follow the instruction shown at replied confirmation e-mail,
> so that your upcoming cvs commit message would be treated properly.
> If you could not understand that, please be *patient* until the
> moderators of those mailing lists 'allow' your cvs commit messages
> to the appropriate mailing lists"
>
> The point is:  ... New Committers feel uneasiness when they cvs
> commit at first. "Be Patient" message or "How to be 'ALLOWED'"
> manual would be necessary for the impetuous (like me :-) committers.

hope this helps.

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:37:33 -0700
(Subject: Re: CVS Commit Mails)
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:30:04AM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Stefan Hepper wrote:
> > >
> > > I think that is due to the slow response from David and myself as we
> > > need to confirm these mails before they get sent to the mailing list as
> > > mailing list moderator.
> > >
> > Ah, ok.
> >
> > > Is there a way to automatically accept the cvs mails?
> > >
> > I guess so, but I'm not sure. Let's ask infrastructure:
> >
> > Can this be handled automatically?
>
> You could turn off moderation, but that would open the list up to spam.
>
> Another option would be to proactively add committers to the "allow" list
> of the mailing list when they given karma on the CVS module. The
> infrastructure folks are slammed enough as it is, that the proactive step
> just isn't done; effectively, the infrastructure team is delegating that
> step to the list moderator(s). This step is complicated in that adding a
> person to CVSROOT/avail can be done from any old client box accessing the
> CVS repository; manually/proactively adding people to an allow list is a
> whole separate session over to mail.apache.org and running an ezmlm
> command.
>
> Now... if somebody were to write a super-tool that added a person to
> "avail" and to a cvs mailing list... well... :-)
>
> Outside of those two options, I'm not sure of anything else. Conceivably,
> there might be a way to put something like *@apache.org into all of the
> CVS mailing lists. I don't know enough about ezmlm to know if it can do
> that, tho.
>
> Cheers,
> -g
>
> --
> Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

E-mail: tetsuya@apache.org  http://www.terra-intl.com/
Apache Software Foundation Committer: http://www.apache.org/~tetsuya/
fingerprint: E420 3713 FAB0 C160 4A1E  6FC5 5846 23D6 80AE BDEA

Re: CVS Commit Mails

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

RE: CVS Commit Mails

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.