Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org> on 2019/07/18 12:09:20 UTC

Change to Subversion PMC rule for approving backports

Recently there have not been enough developers willing and able to test
and approve proposed fixes for back-port to the supported release branches.

We have just been discussing this on #svn-dev [1]. Rather than delay
forever, myself, stsp and brane decided that in line with "silence
implies consent", we can go ahead with merging the proposed backports
even if they have fewer than 3 votes.

We will go ahead now.

[1] discussion around
https://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/svn-dev?date=2019-07-18#l80

- Julian

Re: Change to Subversion PMC rule for approving backports

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
Nathan Hartman wrote:
>     + A change needs three +1 votes (for an LTS release line) or one +1
>     vote
>     (for a non-LTS release line) from full committers (or partial
>     committers
>     for the involved areas), and no vetoes, to go into A.B.x.
>
> snip
>
>     - (If a change affects the build system, however, it is considered a
>     core change, and needs three +1's.)
>     + (If a change affects the build system, however, it is considered a
>     core change, and so for an LTS release line needs three +1's.)
>

> Just proofreading...
>
> Is this 2nd change correct or was the intention three +1s for build
> system changes regardless if LTS or not?

It's correct...

> I'm asking because the 1st change already says that changes to LTS
> require three +1s.

I quoted it here out of its context. In its context it makes sense.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.
+1 Thanks Julian!

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.

Published in http://svn.apache.org/r1867064

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@foad.me.uk>.

Fri Sep 06 07:14:56 GMT+01:00 2019 Branko Čibej :

> On 06.09.2019 07:49, Julian Foad wrote:
> >
> > Bert Huijben wrote:
> >> Why just one +1?
> >> I like the second eye rule we currently have, so one +1 from the nominator and one additional eye.
> >> For bindings we have +- the same rule, but one of the eyes can be someone else than a full committer. (Not sure if we still have any active partial committers though)
> >>
> >> As always, feel free to ping me if you need an additional review for something. I don't follow the dev@ list on a daily basis any more :(
> >>
> >> +1 on reducing the number of required votes to just 2 +1s.
> >
> > The thing is, every trunk change goes in to the next regular release, and the next LTS release, anyway with no extra eyes required.
>
> Well that's not really true, is it. You're assuming that people don't
> read commit logs.

I'm referring to "extra eyes" in the sense of deliberate, requested, and recorded. Commit review is already possible anyway.

> And I think you're oversimplifying things a bit
> because ...
>
> > If certain changes should have more review, we should be managing that on trunk.
>
> ... there's a crucial difference here: we're allowed to make changes on
> trunk that are forbidden on release branches. That was always the reason
> for having an extra review step for backports.

That's a true distinction.

Sent with  FairEmail [https://email.faircode.eu/]  , an open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

Re: Change to Subversion PMC rule for approving backports

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 06.09.2019 07:49, Julian Foad wrote:

> Bert Huijben wrote:
>> Why just one +1?
>> I like the second eye rule we currently have, so one +1 from the nominator and one additional eye.
>> For bindings we have +- the same rule, but one of the eyes can be someone else than a full committer. (Not sure if we still have any active partial committers though)
>>
>> As always, feel free to ping me if you need an additional review for something. I don't follow the dev@ list on a daily basis any more :(
>>
>> +1 on reducing the number of required votes to just 2 +1s.
>
> The thing is, every trunk change goes in to the next regular release, and the next LTS release, anyway with no extra eyes required.

Well that's not really true, is it. You're assuming that people don't
read commit logs. And I think you're oversimplifying things a bit

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.

Bert Huijben wrote:
> Why just one +1?
> I like the second eye rule we currently have, so one +1 from the nominator and one additional eye.
> For bindings we have +- the same rule, but one of the eyes can be someone else than a full committer. (Not sure if we still have any active partial committers though)
>
> As always, feel free to ping me if you need an additional review for something. I don't follow the dev@ list on a daily basis any more :(
>
> +1 on reducing the number of required votes to just 2 +1s.

The thing is, every trunk change goes in to the next regular release, and the next LTS release, anyway with no extra eyes required.

If certain changes should have more review, we should be managing that on trunk. Then it would make sense to have a policy that says only changes having had extra review can be back ported.

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.
Why just one +1?

I like the second eye rule we currently have, so one +1 from the nominator
and one additional eye.

For bindings we have +- the same rule, but one of the eyes can be someone
else than a full committer. (Not sure if we still have any active partial
committers though)

As always, feel free to ping me if you need an additional review for
something. I don't follow the dev@ list on a daily basis any more :(

+1 on reducing the number of required votes to just 2 +1s.

     Bert

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
Julian Foad wrote:
> The proposed change now looks like this:
>
> old:
>    http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-stabilization-how-many-votes
>
> new:
>    http://subversion-staging.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-stabilization-how-many-votes

Improved in http://svn.apache.org/r1866320 ; the overall change is now:

[[[
+
+<p>A change is approved if it receives one +1 vote and no vetoes.  (Only
+binding votes count; see above.)</p>
+
+

]]]

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
The proposed change now looks like this:

old:
  http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-stabilization-how-many-votes

new:
  http://subversion-staging.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-stabilization-how-many-votes

[[[
-<p>A change is approved if it receives three +1s and no vetoes.  (Only
-binding votes count; see above.)</p>
+<p>For a non-LTS ("regular") release line, a change is approved if it
+receives one binding +1 vote and no vetoes.</p>

-<p>Notwithstanding the above, a change that affects only areas that are not
+<p>For an LTS release line, a change that affects core code or the build
+system is approved if it receives three binding +1s and no vetoes.
+A change that affects only areas that are not
 core code (for example, tools/, packages/, bindings/, test scripts, etc.),
 and that does <em>not</em> affect the build system,
 can go in with a +1 from a full committer or a
]]]

committed:
  http://svn.apache.org/r1866313

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Julian Foad wrote on Fri, 30 Aug 2019 06:54 +00:00:
>> Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>>> I think that section as it stands (before your change) is pretty hard to
>>> follow: it jumps back and forth between different topics.  I might take
>>> a shot at clarifying it (without semantic changes), if that won't
>>> conflict with patches you have in flight.
>>
>> Yes please!
>>
>> I strongly urge that we simplify any and all of our documentation at any
>> opportunity. Nearly all of it is much too long. It would be much better
>> to state the facts in a few bullet points, and move the discussion of
>> rationale and history to a dedicated subsection so readers just wanting
>> the facts can easily skip that part.
>
> I've had a go, see staging/.  Feel free to take it from here.

You've improved the information content and clarity. Thank you. We can
publish that as it is, even with the unresolved TODO about defining "veto".

I notice it's now ~32 lines longer, not counting section headers. I wish
we could somehow take out more than we add in.

>>> What do you propose to do about the rule that changes to tools/ or
>>> bindings/ require 1×+1 and 1×+0?  It would be odd if changes to tools/
>>> required more votes than changes to core.
>>
>> Good catch. Should require just one +1 vote (removing the additional +0
>> vote).
>
> While editing on staging/ I noticed there was an explicit bit of
> rationale there about getting two pairs of eyes on every change.
> I guess you should change that part too (make it applicable to LTS
> lines only)?

Yes, that would be in accordance with the proposal.

>  Or alternatively, require at least a +1 and a +0 on
> core changes to non-LTS lines.

I don't mind exactly what rules we end up with, just so long as it is
lighter weight than for LTS releases.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Julian Foad wrote on Fri, 30 Aug 2019 06:54 +00:00:
> Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > I think that section as it stands (before your change) is pretty hard to
> > follow: it jumps back and forth between different topics.  I might take
> > a shot at clarifying it (without semantic changes), if that won't
> > conflict with patches you have in flight.
>
> Yes please!
>
> I strongly urge that we simplify any and all of our documentation at any
> opportunity. Nearly all of it is much too long. It would be much better
> to state the facts in a few bullet points, and move the discussion of
> rationale and history to a dedicated subsection so readers just wanting
> the facts can easily skip that part.

I've had a go, see staging/.  Feel free to take it from here.

> > What do you propose to do about the rule that changes to tools/ or
> > bindings/ require 1×+1 and 1×+0?  It would be odd if changes to tools/
> > required more votes than changes to core.
>
> Good catch. Should require just one +1 vote (removing the additional +0
> vote).

While editing on staging/ I noticed there was an explicit bit of
rationale there about getting two pairs of eyes on every change.
I guess you should change that part too (make it applicable to LTS
lines only)?  Or alternatively, require at least a +1 and a +0 on
core changes to non-LTS lines.

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 8:18 AM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 13.09.2019 14:16, Nathan Hartman wrote:
>> If there are no objections I'll remove site-ng and create a branch
>> from staging called staging-ng. I think it should be under site,
>> adjacent to staging and publish, and not under subversion root?
>
> Yes, that's correct.

Deleted site-ng in r1866904.

Added site/staging-ng in r1866905.

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:56 AM Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:

> Nathan Hartman wrote on Sun, 29 Sep 2019 15:48 +00:00:
> > html5boilerplate is under a MIT license:
> > https://github.com/h5bp/html5-boilerplate/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
> >
> > Can this (or snippets from it) be used for Subversion's website?
>
> Yes.  https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-a

Thank you.

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 9:40 AM Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Deleted site-ng in r1866904.
>
> Added site/staging-ng in r1866905.Regarding the site/staging-ng branch:

Regarding the site/staging-ng branch:

In the past, I've used two files from html5boilerplate.com:
normalize.css and main.css for other projects.

html5boilerplate is under a MIT license:
https://github.com/h5bp/html5-boilerplate/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Can this (or snippets from it) be used for Subversion's website?

(Asking because one of my objectives is better display on mobile.)

Matrix [was: Simplifying our documentation]

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
Nathan Hartman wrote:
>     Are you on Matrix or IRC? [...]
>
> Haven't reached my desk yet today. I'm emailing from my phone. :-)
>
>     <https://matrix.to/#/%23freenode_%23svn-dev:matrix.org>

No problem: these Matrix clients work well on mobile:

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=im.vector.alpha
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=im.vector.app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vector.im/id1083446067

- Julian

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@foad.me.uk>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@foad.me.uk>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:45 PM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13.09.2019 04:18, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:12 AM Branko Čibej <brane@apache.org
> > <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 12.09.2019 05:00, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> >     > I've been studying the site and there is a site-ng branch created
> >     > 2015. I remember a discussion about it around that time but I can't
> >     > find it in the archives now.
> >     >
> >     > Since there are no commits on site-ng beyond branch creation /
> >     readme,
> >     > would it be agreeable if I catch it up to the present and use it?
> >
> >     site-ng was a misguided attempt at changing how our site
> >     implementation
> >     works (from server-side includes to generated static pages). If we
> >     ever
> >     do that overhaul, we'll probably use the new templating automation
> >     that
> >     Infra is working on.
> >
> >     I'd prefer to *delete* the site-ng branch. The staging branch is
> there
> >     for preparing content changes.
> >
> >     -- Brane
> >

> > I know about staging and it's convenient that it's served. But I'd
> > like to experiment without worrying about breaking things. I hope to
> > achieve three things:
> >
> > * Reorganize the information so visitors find what they want with
> > minimal reading and searching
> >
> > * A more modern look
> >
> > * Improve display on mobile phones
> >
> > I'd like to emphasize that I am *not* thinking about changing the
> > implementation (SSI vs something else) at this time. Nor am I thinking
> > about removing or rewriting the text. The information we have on the
> > site is good and thorough. I just want to reorganize it and make a
> > good first impression on visitors with an attractive home page -- and
> > make sure we're all happy with it before it moves to staging.
>
> Oh, then sure, either use site-ng or create another branch, whatever
> suits you best. The only (minor) issue is that you'll have to cook up a
> local server for testing. Or of course we could ask Infra nicely to
> publish yet another branch of our site.
>
> -- Brane

That's the easy part. I have a virtual machine with a LAMP stack. :-)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:12 AM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12.09.2019 05:00, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > I've been studying the site and there is a site-ng branch created
> > 2015. I remember a discussion about it around that time but I can't
> > find it in the archives now.
> >
> > Since there are no commits on site-ng beyond branch creation / readme,
> > would it be agreeable if I catch it up to the present and use it?
>
> site-ng was a misguided attempt at changing how our site implementation
> works (from server-side includes to generated static pages). If we ever
> do that overhaul, we'll probably use the new templating automation that
> Infra is working on.
>
> I'd prefer to *delete* the site-ng branch. The staging branch is there
> for preparing content changes.
>
> -- Brane

I know about staging and it's convenient that it's served. But I'd like to
experiment without worrying about breaking things. I hope to achieve three
things:

* Reorganize the information so visitors find what they want with minimal
reading and searching

* A more modern look

* Improve display on mobile phones

I'd like to emphasize that I am *not* thinking about changing the
implementation (SSI vs something else) at this time. Nor am I thinking
about removing or rewriting the text. The information we have on the site
is good and thorough. I just want to reorganize it and make a good first
impression on visitors with an attractive home page -- and make sure we're
all happy with it before it moves to staging.

Thoughts?

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
Nathan Hartman wrote:
> I've been studying the site and there is a site-ng branch created 2015. I remember a discussion about it around that time but I can't find it in the archives now.
> Since there are no commits on site-ng beyond branch creation / readme, would it be agreeable if I catch it up to the present and use it?

It would be better to use the site/staging branch which you can find alongside site/publish and which is served at http://subversion-staging.apache.org

- Julian

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
(Updated subject)

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:36 AM Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org> wrote:

> To all devs:
>
> Proposal for a permanent change to our backport rules [1]:
>
>    * For non-LTS releases, each backport nomination only requires one +1
> vote (instead of three).
>
> Specific diff to the text of [1]:
>
> - A change needs three +1 votes from full committers (or partial
> committers for the involved areas), and no vetoes, to go into A.B.x.
> + A change needs three +1 votes (for an LTS release line) or one +1 vote
> (for a non-LTS release line) from full committers (or partial committers
> for the involved areas), and no vetoes, to go into A.B.x.
>
> - (If a change affects the build system, however, it is considered a
> core change, and needs three +1's.)
> + (If a change affects the build system, however, it is considered a
> core change, and so for an LTS release line needs three +1's.)
>
> Agreements?

Makes sense, +1

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard

Re: Change to Subversion PMC rule for approving backports

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
To all devs:

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 18.07.2019 14:09, Julian Foad wrote:
> Recently there have not been enough developers willing and able to
> test and approve proposed fixes for back-port to the supported release
> branches.
>
> We have just been discussing this on #svn-dev [1]. Rather than delay
> forever, myself, stsp and brane decided that in line with "silence
> implies consent", we can go ahead with merging the proposed backports
> even if they have fewer than 3 votes.
>
> We will go ahead now.

Thanks for the heads-up, Julian, and for pushing the releases. Sorry for
not taking more time to review the backports.

FWIW, I don't think there was anything controversial in the proposals,
just ... boring paperwork. :)

-- Brane