Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/11/19 11:49:17 UTC

[CRYPTO] Feedback from ApacheCON Europe

Hi,

Xianda Ke held a nice presentation about Commons Crypto yesterday at
ApacheCON Europe in Seville. Kudos to Xianda Ke and Dapeng Sun for
preparing the presentation and making the long trip to Europe.

Here are the comments we got from the audience:

1) Why does Commons Crypto implement it's own Crypto API instead of
providing a JCE provider?
If it is possible to write an adapter to JCE, I think this would be a good
improvement for 1.1. If it is not possible for technical reasons, we should
document it on the website.

2) Is it possible to stub in a custom secret generator? There where
concerns in the audience with regards to the hardware secret generator
build into the Intel chips, because it is not clear what is happening
inside that chips.
Can we extend the API in a why so that users can provide their own secret
generator? Does this even make sense or will that degrade the performance
of Crypto?

Regards,
Benedikt

Re: [CRYPTO] Feedback from ApacheCON Europe

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Ke, Xianda <xi...@intel.com> schrieb am Do., 24. Nov. 2016 um 03:49 Uhr:

> Hi Benedict,
>
> >>1) Why does Commons Crypto implement it's own Crypto API instead of
> providing a JCE provider?
> Dapeng has answered the question. Here are some additional details
> The deployment of JCE provider is tedious for big data user who owns
> thousands of nodes.
> (a). copy jar to java-home,  (b). edit jre/lib/security/java.security
> properties file
> Ref: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19830-01/819-4712/ablsc/index.html

It may be tedious for big data users. But it may also be useful for other
users :-) I've created CRYPTO-130 [1] so we can think about whether we want
to implement that some time.

> >> 2) Is it possible to stub in a custom secret generator? There where
> Here is a sample for customized random generator.
> props.setProperty(CryptoRandomFactory.CLASSES_KEY,
>  CryptoRandomFactory.RandomProvider.JAVA.getClassName());
> CryptoRandom random = CryptoRandomFactory.getCryptoRandom(props);

I think it would be good to have a FAQ page answering this commons
questions.

Benedikt

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CRYPTO-130

Posted by "Ke, Xianda" <xi...@intel.com>.
Hi Matt,

This technology named Intel® Secure Key was launched (May 2012) with the Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ processors (code-named Ivy Bridge).
Not only Xeon CPUS. For instance, i7-6700 supports Secure Key (https://ark.intel.com/products/88196/Intel-Core-i7-6700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz).  You can check specifications in Intel's support page.

Regards,
Xianda

The deployment of a JCE provider isn't that complicated in a containerized or otherwise automated (e.g., via Ansible) environment, but I'd imagine there are older clusters out there that have special snowflake configurations. As for the DRNG, is that only supported in Xeon CPUs? The article only mentions checking cpuid features with no indication as to when this instruction was added.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [CRYPTO] Feedback from ApacheCON Europe

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

RE: [CRYPTO] Feedback from ApacheCON Europe

Posted by "Ke, Xianda" <xi...@intel.com>.
Hi Benedict,

Posted by "Sun, Dapeng" <da...@intel.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.