Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Phil Burress <ph...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/29 19:04:43 UTC

Cluster Question

Here's a basic question to which I'm sure there is a simple answer to, but
for the life of me cannot figure out why.

I have a storm cluster (1 nimbus machine, 3 worker machines), when I submit
a topology (set to max workers = 1, parallelism_hint =1 for all
spouts/bolts), why do I see it running on all 3 worker nodes? Shouldn't it
just run on one of those machines?

Re: Cluster Question

Posted by Phil Burress <ph...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I'm setting this in the topology for now:

    val conf = new Config
    conf.setNumWorkers(1)

Yes, in the UI I see Num Workers = 1, Num Executors = 5, Num Tasks = 5

Just not clear on why I see it running on all three machines. I guess I
(incorrectly) assumed that num workers was synonymous with number of
machines to run on. Was just hoping to understand why.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Cluster Question

Posted by Andrew Neilson <ar...@gmail.com>.