Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Debbie Shapiro <DS...@cardiacscience.com> on 2010/10/07 23:56:44 UTC

Upgrading point releases

Hello -

I see on the apache site that there are notes for upgrading from one
whole version to another, but I don't see anything regarding minor point
releases. Is there somewhere that someone can refer me for upgrade
instructions when going from 7.0.0 to 7.0.2, for example? Is it always a
full installation and then moving pertinent web application files into
the new installation?

Debbie Shapiro
Data Warehouse Manager
Cardiac Science Corporation * 3303 Monte Villa Parkway, Bothell, WA
98021
Office: 425.402.2233

Cardiac Science [NASDAQ: CSCX] provides defibrillation, ECG, stress,
rehab, and Holter devices that connect to EMR and HIS systems. Ask for
our Burdick(r), HeartCentrix(r), Powerheart(r), and Quinton(r) products,
services, supplies - and about our new products!

Visit our frequently updated blog at http://cardiacscience.com/blog

RE: Upgrading point releases

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Debbie Shapiro [mailto:DShapiro@cardiacscience.com]
> Subject: Upgrading point releases

> Is there somewhere that someone can refer me for upgrade
> instructions when going from 7.0.0 to 7.0.2, for example?

Not really, since such an upgrade should border on the trivial.  But in the special case where no releases for a major level have reached the stable stage, there's a somewhat larger chance of incompatible changes being introduced in a dot level.  Once a stable version is released, the chance of that is practically nil, unless some security-related fix dictates otherwise.

> Is it always a full installation and then moving pertinent
> web application files into the new installation?

Pretty much.  Safest to install in a different directory than your current Tomcat one so you have a quick fallback if something goes awry.  You will have to update conf/*.xml files with any site-specific changes, and insure that your startup scripts and/or services know about the new location.

 - Chuck