Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by EDMONDO SENA <ed...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/20 10:30:41 UTC

Syslog4j

Hi,

Syslog4j is compatible with Log4j 2?
Kind regards.

Re: Syslog4j

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps some of these new features could be used to replace what you
were doing before?

log4j-api supports the Message API which can be used to log structured
log messages such as for use in syslog. See
https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/messages.html for the API
details. Similarly, we also have the EventLogger
<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/eventlogging.html> which
can easily be used with a syslog appender.

As for the appender, check
<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#SyslogAppender>
which shows all the currently available options in the v2 appender. If
there's a missing feature there that you reimplemented in your code,
perhaps a feature request would be appropriate?

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Syslog4j

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Yes, you could use the SocketAppender. You would just have to use the appropriate Layout with the SocketAppender.
There is no reason to do 1 because Log4j has a SyslogAppender that combines the appropriate Layout for you.

I’m getting frustrated because both Matt and I have already told you more than once that Log4j ships with a SyslogAppender. Just use it. If you can’t, tell us why.

Ralph

Re: Syslog4j

Posted by EDMONDO SENA <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ralph,