Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lammel Roland <ro...@kapsch.net> on 2005/07/04 09:37:48 UTC

AW: [Maybe Spam] Re: Date processing should be more flexible

I thought ISO is using a dash as seperator (ISO8601), e.g. 2005-07-04

Which makes it even more obvious, that is a ISO date, than using "/" as a seperator, which is primarly used for US date-format.

+rl

Posted by Saulius Grazulis <gr...@akl.lt>.
On Monday 04 July 2005 13:23, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> The best date format, imo, is YYYYMMDD.  i.e. today is 20040704.

Oh no, please! This is completely human-unreadable. Some separators are needed
for readability, and to distinguish dates from just numbers.

Dashes (2005-07-04) are close to ideal: no confusion, standard (ISO), already
widely in use.

Dots could be used as well (2005.07.04) but these are not ISO.

Slashes have contradictory meanings (even if we spell out a year in full --
what is 02/03/2005? ;), so they are not good.

If svn accepts 20040704 as a shortcut, nobody will probably object, I would be
very upset if this were the only format svn understands (in the same way I am
upset with Unix 'date'...)

> When
> used as a file prefix it has the advantage of automagically sorting your
> files by date.

Format with dashes has the same property.

--
Saulius Gražulis

Visuomeninė organizacija "Atviras Kodas Lietuvai"
P.Vileišio g. 18
LT-10306 Vilnius
Lietuva (Lithuania)

tel/fax:      (+370-5)-210 40 05
mobilus:      (+370-684)-49802, (+370-614)-36366

Re: AW: [Maybe Spam] Re: Date processing should be more flexible

Posted by "Martin A. Brooks" <ma...@hinterlands.org>.
Miha Vitorovic wrote:
> I wouldn't go as far as saying that "most countries" in Europe use slashes
> for date separation.

The best date format, imo, is YYYYMMDD.  i.e. today is 20040704.  When

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
Olivier Sannier <ob...@free.fr> wrote on 04.07.2005 11:52:53:

> Lammel Roland wrote:
>
> >I thought ISO is using a dash as seperator (ISO8601), e.g. 2005-07-04
> >
> >Which makes it even more obvious, that is a ISO date, than using
> "/" as a seperator, which is primarly used for US date-format.
> >
> >+rl
> >
> Yes, that's right, but most countries in Europe use the "/" as a
> separator, but the dd/mm/yyyy format.

I wanted to stay out of it, but...

I wouldn't go as far as saying that "most countries" in Europe use slashes
for date separation.

Cheers,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si

Re: AW: [Maybe Spam] Re: Date processing should be more flexible

Posted by Olivier Sannier <ob...@free.fr>.