Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2009/03/03 13:06:43 UTC

Google Summer of Code

Hi dev@,

last year, we missed the Google Summer of Code* application
deadline by hours (my fault). This year, applications run on
March 9th-13th.

*http://code.google.com/soc/

GSoC provides an excellent opportunity for open source projects
to get students involved with the project and have larger areas of
functionality covered.

What is needed from our end (roughly, see the rest of the GSoC
FaQ*** for more info)?

  - A single person as an administrative contact. I volunteer for this
    position if nobody else is eager to take it.

  - A "list of ideas"** that includes a number of sub-projects that
students
    can apply for when working on CouchDB. This is where you come
    in! :) What feature of CouchDB would you like a student to work on
    during the summer?

  - A vote on which student-proposals to accept.

  - Once we have one or more students with an idea each, we'll need a
    mentor for each sub-project.

** From the GSoC FaQ***:

An "Ideas" list should be a list of suggested student projects. This
list is meant to introduce contributors to your project's needs and to
provide inspiration to would-be student applicants. It is useful to
classify each idea as specifically as possible, e.g. "must know
Python" or "easier project; good for a student with more limited
experience with C++." If your organization plans to provide an
application template, you should include it on your Ideas list.
Keep in mind that your Ideas list should be a starting point for
student applications; we've heard from past mentoring organization
participants that some of their best student projects are those that
greatly expanded on a proposed idea or were blue-sky proposals not
mentioned on the Ideas list at all.

*** http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Michael McDaniel <co...@autosys.us>.
On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:26:02AM -0800, Chris Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > - Lucene integration - good for students with Java experience?
>
> Good one.
>
> Also:
>
> - Comprehensive standardized benchmark suite (so we can compare Couch
> across hardware)
>
> - Alternate view engines. These could be tightly coupled (in the sense
> of written in Erlang and optionally using the B-Tree structure) or
> loosely and using _external. I think Erlang ones would be more likely
> to have a lasting influence. This would be an advanced project. I'd
> especially like to see a geospatial indexer.

 Welcome to enhance  http://github.com/mmcdanie/erlview/tree/master
 or use as example of one way of how to do it.

~M

--
Michael McDaniel
Portland, Oregon, USA

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
- Lucene integration - good for students with Java experience?

Kev

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Some things I'd like to see.

On 3 Mar 2009, at 13:06, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> [...]
> What feature of CouchDB would you like a student to work on
>   during the summer?

  - Full fledged Windows support including a script that turns trunk
    and releases into a binary distribution.

  - Comprehensive Erlang-based unit-, and behaviour-test suite.

  - Easy CouchDB cluster management solution.

  - Improvements to Futon as outlined in the "Futon Future" thread.
     http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200902.mbox/%3cC95955D3-1D12-4AC6-A80C-519A1DC25864@apache.org%3e
  ff.

Cheers
Jan

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> wrote:
> Committers,
>
> There are a few GSoC proposals regarding CouchDB still sitting un-reviewed at:
>
> http://socghop.appspot.com/org/list_proposals/google/gsoc2009/asf

I should have included this link, which you need to visit first:

http://socghop.appspot.com/mentor/request/google/gsoc2009/asf

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: Google Summer of Code

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 21 Mar 2009, at 13:43, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 5 Mar 2009, at 13:14, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> A little update.
>>
>> On 3 Mar 2009, at 13:06, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>
>>> last year, we missed the Google Summer of Code* application
>>> deadline by hours (my fault). This year, applications run on
>>> March 9th-13th.
>>
>> The ASF is already taking part and we can submit idea lists for
>> CouchDB under their umbrella.
>>
>> See http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009 for more
>> information.
>>
>> We should have a list of ideas ready by March 23rd. I'll keep this
>> thread open for another while and then start collecting ideas that
>> we can vote on for Students to apply for.
>
> I added our wiki page to
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2008#preview

Smart move, I now added our proposals to
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009 (correct year)

Cheers
Jan

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
Bending the line between working on CouchDB an using it (for something
reusable): an interesting smaller project would be building an Atom
store that passes all the Ape tests, as a CouchApp.

Ape: http://www.tbray.org/ape/

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
A little update.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Michael McDaniel <co...@autosys.us>.
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:32:46PM +0100, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> Hey Jan,
>
> how about using the correct wiki?
>
> New link: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/SummerOfCode2009
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --
>

> On 10 Mar 2009, at 23:19, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Thanks for the write up. Can you please add this to the wiki page
>> so we don't loose track of it?

 Added to wiki.  I left 'Possible Mentors' blank.  If there are no
 objections from core CouchDB folks, I will add my name as a 'possible'.
 I suggest looking at erlview before you make that decision.  Don't
 be shy saying nay.

~M

http://trip.autosys.us
http://autosys.us
http://mmcdaniel.com/erlview

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hey Jan,

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Michael McDaniel <co...@autosys.us>.
Subject ID : couchdb-erlang-interface

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Barry Wark <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Barry Wark <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't claim to have groked CouchDB enough to know what the
>> priorities for GSoC projects should be, but the missing feature that
>> is preventing my organization from using CouchDB is the ability to
>> combine view results using boolean combinations (e.g. I want all the
>> doc ids of documents in view1 AND in view2 or all the doc ids of
>> documents in view1 OR view2 etc.), including temporary views.
>>
>> I suspect this would be best implemented in Erlang, though perhaps the
>> proposal for enhancing the external view servers or better Lucene
>> integration is the better approach.
>>

> This is a good proposal. Versions of it have been discussed on the
> list and IRC on and off for a while.
>
> Views have a by-docid index, which means docid intersections can
> happen in constant space as long as startkey/endkey aren't used.

I should also say that I'm not opposed to putting my money where my
mouth is. I won't be able to dedicate any significant time to it until
early 2010, but at that point I would be happy to help with the
implementation of this feature. Of course, I'd be grateful to anyone
who has a a crack at it in the mean time!

Barry

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Barry Wark <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Barry Wark <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't claim to have groked CouchDB enough to know what the
>> priorities for GSoC projects should be, but the missing feature that
>> is preventing my organization from using CouchDB is the ability to
>> combine view results using boolean combinations (e.g. I want all the
>> doc ids of documents in view1 AND in view2 or all the doc ids of
>> documents in view1 OR view2 etc.), including temporary views.
>>
>> I suspect this would be best implemented in Erlang, though perhaps the
>> proposal for enhancing the external view servers or better Lucene
>> integration is the better approach.
>>

> This is a good proposal. Versions of it have been discussed on the
> list and IRC on and off for a while.
>
> Views have a by-docid index, which means docid intersections can
> happen in constant space as long as startkey/endkey aren't used.

We'll need to be able to specify startkey/endkey too for our use case.
I hope that doesn't make the whole endeavor infeasible. Obviously this
can be accomplished on the client end, but it seems like it belongs in
the server.

Thanks,
Barry

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Barry Wark <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Ulises <ul...@gmail.com>.
Partially related to GSoC. Today is the deadline for proposals for MSc
projects here at uni and I thought that perhaps an MSc based on some
work to be done on CouchDB would be awesome.

Would anybody be interested in helping me write a proposal? Some of
the ideas that were presented here are really appealing.

Keep in mind that deadline is today @5pm UTC :)

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Brian Candler <B....@pobox.com> wrote:
>> What feature of CouchDB would you like a student to work on
>> during the summer?
>
> I have a suggestion: build an LDAP server into CouchDB. Bind and read-only
> access to documents would be a good start. Add/modify/delete on documents,
> and search on views, would be even better.
>
> Working on this would be an opportunity for someone to get to grips with the
> OTP framework (gen_server, inet, asn1) whilst also interfacing with CouchDB
> at the Erlang level.

Good reminder. When authentication was introduced we basically just
put external authentication mechanisms on a back burner until a future
date. LDAP is a great idea, but I'd make the slight amendment to
include making a pluggable interface and then using LDAP as a
reference implementation.

HTH,
Paul Davis

Re: Google Summer of Code