Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@hp.com> on 2003/12/05 00:36:08 UTC

Re: how does one configure a new service?

n. alex rupp wrote:

> IM Transcript from conversation with Jeremy follows, explaining service
> deployment.
>
> n_alex_rupp: May I ask a question?
> jeremyboynes: sure
> n_alex_rupp: Are Dain and you working on service deployment documentation?
> n_alex_rupp: Or service configuration docs?
> jeremyboynes: I am not
> n_alex_rupp: He mentioned something about it a few weeks ago.
> n_alex_rupp: I'd like to deploy something I'm working on as a service.
> Where can I look for ideas on how to do that?
> n_alex_rupp: I just need a shove in the right direction ; )
> jeremyboynes: there is a basic -service.xml file in core/src/conf
> jeremyboynes: and there should be an XSD for it in the schema directory
> n_alex_rupp: sweet.
> n_alex_rupp: Do I pack it up as a .sar, like we used to?
> jeremyboynes: you can do it bare
> n_alex_rupp: or must it be done through maven?
> jeremyboynes: or as an unpacked sar
> n_alex_rupp: great.
> jeremyboynes: and drop in the deploy driectory
> n_alex_rupp: will do.  thank you ; )
> jeremyboynes: or deploy the URL using the console

Hi,

It's been quite a long since N.Alex had talked to Jeremy about deploying
  a service in Geronimo. I'd like to follow up with the subject and ask
how to deploy a service outside deploy directory? What structure does
the directory of the service have to have in order to deploy it
successfully?

> N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)

Jacek

Re: how does one configure a new service?

Posted by "n. alex rupp" <ru...@umn.edu>.
> David Jencks wrote:
>
> > I'm  not entirely sure I understand how you are using all the terms
> > here, so hopefully you'll be able to understand at least part of what I
> > write:-)
> >
> > I'm assuming by "service" you mean "a bunch of mbeans".
>
> To which Jacek Laskowski responded:
>
> Exactly. The term "service" is taken from the names of the mbeans and
> files currently available in Geronimo. I don't therefore understand why
> people name the bunch of mbeans - services - if they're not so? How
> would you like to see it named? "A bunch of mbeans" is quite a long name :-)

In the books and in the documentation for JMX stuff we call them "manageable
resources".
I think the term "service" is extremely cliché--overused, confusing and so
abstract it is almost without meaning.  We might as well call them "things" as
"services".

Is there a way we could adopt the term manageable resources or some
abbreviation, (although, on second thought, we *could* start calling them
"BoMBs", which would nicely follow David's description "Bunch of MBeans")

And then you drop the BoMBs into the deployment directory, and ...

: P

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@hp.com>.
David Jencks wrote:

> I'm  not entirely sure I understand how you are using all the terms
> here, so hopefully you'll be able to understand at least part of what I
> write:-)
>
> I'm assuming by "service" you mean "a bunch of mbeans".

Exactly. The term "service" is taken from the names of the mbeans and
files currently available in Geronimo. I don't therefore understand why
people name the bunch of mbeans - services - if they're not so? How
would you like to see it named? "A bunch of mbeans" is quite a long name :-)

> There are 2 parts: the code and the mbean deployment info.  These can be
> put together into a ".sar" file (hopefully it doesn't actually need this
> extension any longer" with the deployment info in
> META-INF/geronimo-service.xml.  Alternatively the code and *-service.xml
> file can be deployed separately.

Got it too.

> You have to tell the deployment system about these.  By far the easiest
> way at the moment is to put the code in lib and the *-service.xml file
> in deploy, or the *.sar file in deploy.
>
> Alternatively, you can communicate with the deployment scanner,either
> through the web console or via jmx, and tell it directly to deploy your
> package.  You can also configure the deployment scanner to  look where
> you keep your package.

I guess you think about etc/boot-service.xml file where one can define
another location, don't you? I'd just come up with this right after I've
woken up. I don't remember if I dremt about Geronimo, though ;-)

     <mbean
descriptor="org.apache.geronimo.kernel.deployment.scanner.DeploymentScanner"
         name="geronimo.deployment:role=DeploymentScanner">
         <constructor>
             <arg type="java.net.URL[]">${geronimo.home}/deploy/,</arg>
             <arg type="long">5000</arg>
         </constructor>
     </mbean>

By the way, is the comma after the URL required?

> Some examples are the remoting service and the connector service.  I
> believe both of these have the code in lib and the *-service.xml file in
> deploy.

Right.

> Currently the openejb nova ejb containers are missing their
> *-service.xml file to set up the ejb deployer: we seem to have forgotten
> to commit it at apachecon.  I am testing a couple of things with it and
> should commit it sometime tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to checking it out from CVS. I've been looking for
it for a few days.

> Hope this answers something related to your question:-)

Yes. I couldn't expect to have it written better! Thanks David.

If I finish a doc about it, where would you recommend to publish it -
Wiki or CVS?

> david jencks

Jacek

Re: how does one configure a new service?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.