Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Morrison, John" <Jo...@uk.experian.com> on 2002/03/12 11:10:50 UTC

[VOTE] Seperate Contrib/optional area/cvs (was: RE: POI Serializa tion code committed)

OK, lets split this thread.

Should we seperate the contrib/optional stuff from core?

+1

Should it be located in a seperate cvs?

+1

J.

> From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >From: "Steven Noels" <st...@outerthought.org>
> if enough

> >>I hope the remainder of my arguments are not lost, however. This is
> >>suboptimal solution until POI admits it really should become part of
> >>their own codebase. Only the real Cocoon-specific classes should
> >>eventually go into the contrib section of Cocoon CVS. POI
> supporting XML
> >>is not in scope for Cocoon, neither.
> >>

> >Cocoon is becoming overcrowded with optional components, and
> this is a fact.
> >For this, I think that we need a contrib section, which is
> optimal for
> >Cocoon IMHO. In the near future it will be the famous "Cocoon Blocks"
> >section.
> >
> >I'm +1 for this. I'm refactoring examples in this direction,
> and will commit
> >ASAP.
> >

> +1 also. But IMO we should distinguish "contrib" and "optional" :
> - "contrib" means donated (and accepted) code that didn't
> find a better
> place, but is not actively maintained by the Cocoon team,
> - "optional" means code that is related to a third party
> library that is
> isn't core to Cocoon, and supported and maintained by the team.
>
> We have also to be very careful that these sections don't
> become a giant
> mess, and that they have good visibility so that users know
> what's inside.

of this email.

Re: [VOTE] Seperate Contrib/optional area/cvs (was: RE: POI Serialization code committed)

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> From: "Morrison, John" <Jo...@uk.experian.com>
>
> > Should we seperate the contrib/optional stuff from core?
> >
> > +1
>
> +1

+1

> > Should it be located in a seperate cvs?
> >
> > +1
>
> +1

-1 a different area is fine but since it's optional for *cocoon*
why not keep it in the same cvs? ...I admit: I am just too lazy to keep
track of another repository ;)
--
Torsten

Re: [VOTE] Seperate Contrib/optional area/cvs (was: RE: POI Serialization code committed)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Morrison, John" <Jo...@uk.experian.com>

> Should we seperate the contrib/optional stuff from core?
>
> +1

+1

> Should it be located in a seperate cvs?
>
> +1

+1

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Seperate Contrib/optional area/cvs (was: RE: POI Serialization code committed)

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

>I agree with Carsten:
>
>+1 (seperate the contrib/optional stuff from core?)
>-1 (Should it be located in a seperate cvs?)

Same here :
+1 for separation of contrib/optional stuff
-1 for a separate CVS. The amount of code doesn't justify it and it
would decrease its visibility. However, this can be reconsidered in the
future if needed (see Avalon apps that now have their own repository).

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

RE: [VOTE] Seperate Contrib/optional area/cvs (was: RE: POI Serialization code committed)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
I agree with Carsten:

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

-1