Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/03 15:57:24 UTC

Fwd: An Exception Fact Sheet for Struts

What do you think?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>
Date: 2012/7/3
Subject: Fwd: An Exception Fact Sheet for Struts
To: Struts Developers List <de...@struts.apache.org>

Any opinion about that ?

Kind regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Maxence G. de Montauzan <ma...@inria.fr>
Date: 2012/6/20
Subject: An Exception Fact Sheet for Struts
To: mrdon@apache.org, husted@apache.org, musachy@apache.org,
lukaszlenart@apache.org
DW: Pr Martin Monperrus <Ma...@univ-lille1.fr>

Dear,

We (at Univ. Lille / INRIA) have analyzed Struts and found interesting
facts on exception handling.
http://chercheurs.lille.inria.fr/~germaind/Struts.html (*)

For an empirical study on exceptions in open source Java Applications,
we have set up an "Exception Fact Sheet" that provides an bird's eye
view of exception-handling in a Java program (link above).
This sheet may give you new insights on exception handling inside Struts.

We'd like to have your feedback on it (is it useful in any manner?),
either by email or by leaving comments in the web page. Should you
want to discuss some points in details, don't hesitate to ask us.

Thank you very much for your time,

Best regards
Maxence
Martin

(*) In this link, you find the exception fact sheet, divided in eight
parts. Each part has a little description to explain what is
presented. You can leave a comments on each part.

Re: An Exception Fact Sheet for Struts

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Łukasz Lenart <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> What do you think?

Interesting, yes, but I do believe a small 'tl;dr' would help a lot here,
as well as a comparison to other MVC frameworks (but I cannot access
anything but the Struts document, so that might be something worthwhile to
add).

Cheers,

Phil

PS. Due to the nature of OGNL I still believe way too many exceptions are
thrown from down under on a normal Struts action invocation, but that's
another thing.

--
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." -
Randy Pausch