Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Peter Losher <Pe...@isc.org> on 2004/12/09 20:26:39 UTC

Use of mirrors@apache.org...

Question - As subscribing to this list was part of the "How to become a Apache
mirror", is there any practical use to remain part of this list if you are
already a official mirror?  (i.e. are there official announcements that we as
mirrors should read?)

Because all I see here are a stream of mirror applications, and discussions on
how they are not complying with the mirror requirements, and I'd rather save
you all the CPU and bandwidth of sending me all that. :)

Best Wishes - Peter
--
Peter_Losher@isc.org | ISC | OpenPGP 0xE8048D08 | "The bits must flow"

Re: Use of mirrors@apache.org...

Posted by Eric Pancer <ep...@security.depaul.edu>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote on Thu, 2004-12-09 at 12:46:20 -0800...

> +1.  I think making the submitters file a JIRA entry for their new mirrors
> would be goodness as it'd ensure that submissions don't get lost.  -- justin

I've seen bug entries for mirrors get lost for both gentoo and other
major projects.

--
Eric Pancer :.: Computer Security Response Team :.: DePaul University
http://security.depaul.edu/ .:`:.:':.:`:. epancer@security.depaul.edu

Re: Use of mirrors@apache.org...

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Thursday, December 9, 2004 3:16 PM -0500 Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>

Re: [gulus-miroir] Re: Use of mirrors@apache.org...

Posted by Simon Valiquette <v....@ieee.org>.
jason andrade a écrit :
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Astharot wrote:
>
>> I agree with Peter. There should be a separate list about new
>> submissions... see other link requests are useless, imho.
>

> the convention on other mirror lists has been for something like:
>
> mirrors-announce@apache.org - restricted posting (e.g only by the apache
> mirror maintainers and core/developers).  very low volume, only informational
> posts (e.g new releases)
>
> mirrors@apache.org - discussion list for mirror admins

   Just getting the new mirrors, mirror X unavailable for the next few
days and such requests off this list should already be enought for now,
in my opinion.

   I think that putting 2 lists is too much for now, because there is
only very few discussions anyway.  If after all we see that there is
effectivelly a need for another list, nothing will prevent us from
creating it later.

Simon Valiquette
http://gulus.USherbrooke.ca
http://www.gulus.org

Re: Use of mirrors@apache.org...

Posted by jason andrade <ja...@rtfmconsult.com>.
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Astharot wrote:

> I agree with Peter. There should be a separate list about new submissions...
> see other link requests are useless, imho.

the convention on other mirror lists has been for something like:

mirrors-announce@apache.org - restricted posting (e.g only by the apache mirror
maintainers and core/developers).  very low volume, only informational posts
(e.g new releases)

mirrors@apache.org - discussion list for mirror admins

regards,

-jason

Re: Use of mirrors@apache.org...

Posted by Astharot <as...@zone-h.org>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> Yes, unfortunately, this list is a combined
> submission/discussion/announcement list.  It would be nice if we could
> have a separate channel for the first topic (submission) to lighten the
> bandwidth on this list.  We did have it at one point, but it wasn't
> monitored very effectively, so mirror requests wound up getting ignored.
>
> If there is a general feeling that there is too much traffic on this
> list (and hence it won't serve its purpose as an announcement list), we
> can try to redirect submissions to another location (like the bug
> database).
>
> Opinions?
>
> Joshua.

I agree with Peter. There should be a separate list about new
submissions... see other link requests are useless, imho.

Bye
  Gerardo Di Giacomo

Re: Use of mirrors@apache.org...

Posted by Ryan <EN...@Yahoo.Ca>.
nevermind got it to work... ack
Posted by Ryan <EN...@Yahoo.Ca>.

Re: Use of mirrors@apache.org...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: Use of mirrors@apache.org...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

RE: apache.uwhdc.com

Posted by Ryan <EN...@Yahoo.Ca>.
Sorry we changed our os on our primary server.
I'm in the process of setting up the mirror again.
Hope to have it back online by tomorrow night.