Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Carey <da...@tumbleweed.co.uk> on 2002/10/10 15:55:35 UTC

STARTTLS support in the James Server

I was reviewing the SMTPServer code in James.

Although James supports TLS Connections,
the SMTPHandler doesn't support the SMTP STARTTLS verb, (as per RFC 2487)
which is what most Email Clients will use for TLS connections.

Is there any reasons behind this?

Cheers
Dave

--
This message has been content scanned by Tumbleweed Secure Guardian (TSG).
TSG uses policy enforcement to scan for known viruses, content

NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
copies of the original message.

To contact our email administrator directly, send to
 administrator@tumbleweed.co.uk

Re: STARTTLS support in the James Server

Posted by Vernon Riley <in...@kutchka.com>.
At 21:51 21/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>From: "David Carey" <da...@tumbleweed.co.uk>
> > which is what most Email Clients will use for TLS connections.
>
>Hey David,
>
>Do you know of some clients that support STARTTLS. I use outlook express and
>gnus. I can't configure either to use STARTTLS.
>
>It seems like something worth doing only if it is widely supported. Is there
>a particular client you would recommend testing STARTTLS functionality with
>?
>
>Harmeet

Harmeet -

 From the configuration options it appears Qualcomm Eudora 5.1 ( free in
light / sponsored modes )  will operate STARTTLS. Thus there is reasonably
widespread deployment....

Vernon

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
From: "David Carey" <da...@tumbleweed.co.uk>

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Dave,

Because it's relatively new and we haven't gotten to it yet.  Support
for STARTTLS is not really that widespread yet.  You'll note that there
are a number of much older, much more common extensions that are not yet
supported.  That's one of my goals for the release after the current one
- expanded and configurable SMTP extension configuration.

--Peter