Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2010/04/08 21:00:18 UTC

[HttpCore] Java level 1.3 -> 1.5

Folks

How do you feel about upgrading minimal JRE level for HttpCore 4.1 from
1.3 to 5.0 provided it remains fully binary compatible with HttpCore
4.0?

Oleg

Re: [HttpCore] Java level 1.3 -> 1.5

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1 for moving into 1.5, and a minor release should be OK.

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton
Technical Lead & Product Manager; WSO2 ESB; http://wso2.org/esb

Re: [HttpCore] Java level 1.3 -> 1.5

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.

Re: [HttpCore] Java level 1.3 -> 1.5

Posted by James Abley <ja...@gmail.com>.
IIRC, 5.0 is beginning the EOL (End Of Life) processes.

What percentage of environments are still using 1.3?

I would think you can quite happily drop 1.3.

Cheers,

James

On 8 Apr 2010 20:52, "Oleg Kalnichevski" <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 20:31 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 08/04/2010, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>...
I would hate to have to bump the version number to 5.0 just because of
that. There are examples of Apache projects changing the minimal JRE
level requirement with a minor release, but I understand this is quite a
stretch.

Anyway, I am the one to blame for keeping HttpCore 1.3 compatibility
requirement. I guess we will have to live with 1.3 compatibility for
now.

Oleg

Re: [HttpCore] Java level 1.3 -> 1.5

Posted by James Abley <ja...@gmail.com>.
I suggest pinging the ANT devs - they used to be pretty strict about Java
version support.

On 8 Apr 2010 21:23, "sebb" <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 08/04/2010, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 20:31 +0100, sebb...
Why? It's only a number.

> There are examples of Apache projects changing the minimal JRE
> level requirement with a minor...
I've just been looking at:

http://commons.apache.org/releases/versioning.html#Interface-Compatible_Changes

This does not list JRE changes as being interface-incompatible, so
perhaps I was wrong about a JRE change requiring a major release.

It would be useful to know what standards other projects use, but I've
not been able to find any others so far.

I'd like to see what others think about this.

Re: [HttpCore] Java level 1.3 -> 1.5

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 08/04/2010, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 20:31 +0100, sebb wrote:
>  > On 08/04/2010, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>  > > Folks
>  > >
>  > >  How do you feel about upgrading minimal JRE level for HttpCore 4.1 from
>  > >  1.3 to 5.0 provided it remains fully binary compatible with HttpCore
>  > >  4.0?
>  >
>  > 1.3 is seriously deficient now.
>  > 1.4 is still adequate, but 1.5 offers useful performance and memory
>  > model improvements.
>  > 1.5 would also make it easier to build core since nio needs 1.5.
>  >
>  > I'm OK with requiring a minimum of 1.5 (or 1.4), but not 1.6 (yet).
>  >
>  > However, I don't think this should be introduced in a minor release; I
>  > think it needs a major release.
>  >

> I would hate to have to bump the version number to 5.0 just because of
>  that.

Why? It's only a number.

Re: [HttpCore] Java level 1.3 -> 1.5

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.