Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2002/11/14 05:44:17 UTC

[Proposal] A wiki about turbine

To cater for development of FAQs and other documentation I propose that we
establish a wiki for turbine and its related projects.

A maven plugin is available that generates a UseMod wiki
(http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl) file that uses the look and feel of
the maven generated site.  Details of this plugin are available at the
following locations:
http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/maven-plugins

I would like to know...:
1. if the turbine committers support the idea of using a wiki for ad hoc
documentation

2. if it will be possible to locate the wiki on an apache server somewhere
(I can ultimately make this request to infrastructure@apache.org, but I
thought I would ask here anyway).

If this receives a reasonably positive response I will chase it up and
attempt to get it working.

Cheers,

Scott
--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

Re: [Proposal] A wiki about turbine

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>
>
> Currently it's installed on a non-apache hardware, and it has been said
> that it can be a problem for security; it was also hinted that this
> project would make a wiki that could be usable on Apache hardware
> http://subwiki.tigris.org/

To get subwiki working you need:
    * Subversion
    * SWIG 1.3.15
    * Apache 2.0.42
    * Neon 0.23.x (usually comes with Subversion)
    * Berkeley DB 4.0.14

Even the subwiki people admit that this is a "rather heavy burden".

I don't really care which actual wiki is used.  The Cocoon wiki uses JSPWiki
which looks as good as any.  I imagine it will ultimately come down to
whether or not it is acceptable from a security point of view.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll see what sort of reaction I get from
infrastructure@apache.org.  I guess the fallback plan is to follow Cocoon's
lead and run the wiki from non-apache hardware.

Cheers,

Scott

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Scott Eade wrote:
> To cater for development of FAQs and other documentation I propose that we
> establish a wiki for turbine and its related projects.
>
> A maven plugin is available that generates a UseMod wiki
> (http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl) file that uses the look and feel of
> the maven generated site.  Details of this plugin are available at the
> following locations:
> http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.html
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/maven-plugins
>
> I would like to know...:
> 1. if the turbine committers support the idea of using a wiki for ad hoc
> documentation
>
> 2. if it will be possible to locate the wiki on an apache server somewhere
> (I can ultimately make this request to infrastructure@apache.org, but I
> thought I would ask here anyway).
>
> If this receives a reasonably positive response I will chase it up and
> attempt to get it working.

We have done it @ Cocoon, and it has been a *great* success.

At the beginning I was reluctant, and didn't see the advantage.
But right from the start there have been constant contributions of docs
from people we had never heard of, and it's continuing to the present day.
We also use it for draft docs about discussions.

So, based on current experience, I would really recommend it.

Currently it's installed on a non-apache hardware, and it has been said
that it can be a problem for security; it was also hinted that this
project would make a wiki that could be usable on Apache hardware
http://subwiki.tigris.org/

Give it a go, it seems interesting.

Cheers! :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Proposal] A wiki about turbine

Posted by Sam Joseph <ga...@yha.att.ne.jp>.
Sure thing.

Standing by.

CHEERS> SAM

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Sam,

Posted by Sam Joseph <ga...@yha.att.ne.jp>.

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@4lane.com>.

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.
On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Scott Eade wrote:

> I would like to know...:
> 1. if the turbine committers support the idea of using a wiki for ad hoc
> documentation

+1