Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com> on 2008/03/10 13:47:13 UTC

[VOTE] Approve Apache XAP 0.5.0 Release

Incubator PM,

The XAP team has put together a new release of the project (0.5.0) and
it has been approved by the xap-dev list with 8 (+1s) and 0 (others). We
are now asking the Incubator PM to approve this release so we can
distribute it.

The release candidate has been posted at:
http://people.apache.org/~bbuffone/xap-release/0.5.0-incubator/

Please cast your votes:

[ ] +1 Release is approved

Thank you,
Bob (Buffone)

Re: [VOTE] Approve Apache XAP 0.5.0 Release

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
So, where do we stand on the vote? Is the vote still open, or are we
going to resolve XAP-579 (source and binary builds) and try again with
a 0.5.1 ?

I've been reviewing the 0.5.0 build. I'm not sure all of the samples
work, because I'm not sure what all of them are suppose to do :), but
I would like to see XAP move toward another release, and work to build
the type of transparent, robust community we need for graduation.

-Ted.

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com> wrote:
> Sebb,
>
>  Those files you noticed were where changed during manufacturing and not
>  checked in to the tag.  I have corrected this situation and now the
>  distribution and the Tag match completely.
>
>  There is now a Jira issue that notes the changes needed to the
>  manufacturing process.  I agree that two distribution files would
>  simplify things for users of the XAP codebase.
>
>  Bob (Buffone)

HTH, Ted
http://husted.com/ted/blog/

RE: [VOTE] Approve Apache XAP 0.5.0 Release

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com>.

Posted by Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com>.
James is correct I went back and looked at the version of Rhino that is
being used and it the 1.6 version and it is license under the Netscape
Public License Version 1.1 http://www.mozilla.org/NPL/.  We have
supplied the diffs for the changes.

The use of Rhino is strictly for the dojo build system to work.

Bob (Buffone)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 4:01 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> There seem to be several copies of some files, e.g.
> >
> > dojo.js.uncompressed.js
> > custom_rhino.jar
> > flash6_gateway.fla
> >

> Hmm, custom_rhino.jar is an interesting one. Prior to version 1.6R5, I
> believe Rhino was MPL licensed, and as of 1.6R5 it is dual licensed under
> MPL and GPL. It is coming to XAP through Dojo. Do we know which version of
> Rhino this is?
>
> If it's 1.6R5 or later, how does a dual MPL / GPL license work in an ASF
> project? Does the ASF have to pick one of the licenses, and are we allowed
> to do that? Can we distribute something that's potentially GPL licensed?

i dislike dual licenses (there is some legal uncertainty see
http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html)
but AIUI most of the rest of the legal group are ok with them. for ASF
purposes, it would be treated as MPL1.1.

- robert

RE: [VOTE] Approve Apache XAP 0.5.0 Release

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: [VOTE] Approve Apache XAP 0.5.0 Release

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com> wrote:

> Incubator PM,
>
> The XAP team has put together a new release of the project (0.5.0) and
> it has been approved by the xap-dev list with 8 (+1s) and 0 (others). We
> are now asking the Incubator PM to approve this release so we can
> distribute it.
>
> The release candidate has been posted at:
> http://people.apache.org/~bbuffone/xap-release/0.5.0-incubator/<http://people.apache.org/%7Ebbuffone/xap-release/0.5.0-incubator/>
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [ ] +1 Release is approved

+1

comments, suggestions etc (not normative)

some of the javascript is MPL1.1: note that the third party licenses policy
being developed categorises this as B (binary only) since it's reciprocal.
discussions continue on whether code for dynamic languages (such as
javascript) should be restricted as B. all welcome to join in the
discussion.

- robert