Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Joshua Spiewak <js...@ivyventures.net> on 2003/07/29 21:23:41 UTC

couple of questions

Hi there,

I just started using Maven and had a couple of questions.  I am using
version 1.0-beta-10 on Windows XP with Cygwin tools and Emacs (with JDEE).

The first question is why are the plugins and local repository created in
C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\.maven when %HOME% is set to c:\jss?  I
get around this by setting %MAVEN_HOME_LOCAL%, but it doesn't seem like
that should be necessary.

The second question is a bit more complex.  I am used to building from
Emacs, using JDEE, so I figured I would extend JDEE to be able to run Maven
in a similar fashion to how it runs Ant.  Initially this went pretty
easily, but I am now stuck wrestling with the --dir and --pom command line
options of Maven.  If I am one directory down from the top level of my
project, I can successfully run maven with --pom ../project.xml.  However,
I cannot seem to specify an absolute path (with either tcsh or cmd), and
trying to use --dir doesn't seem to help.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
 I have tried "d:/work/project" and "/cygdrive/d/work/project" and
"d:\work\project", all unsuccessfully.

Thanks in advance, and keep up the work on what looks like a very promising
project!

			-- Josh

Re: couple of questions

Posted by James CE Johnson <jc...@tragus.org>.
Joshua Spiewak wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I just started using Maven and had a couple of questions.  I am using
> version 1.0-beta-10 on Windows XP with Cygwin tools and Emacs (with
> JDEE).
>
> The first question is why are the plugins and local repository created
> in C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\.maven when %HOME% is set to
> c:\jss?  I get around this by setting %MAVEN_HOME_LOCAL%, but it
> doesn't seem like that should be necessary.
>
> The second question is a bit more complex.  I am used to building from
> Emacs, using JDEE, so I figured I would extend JDEE to be able to run
> Maven in a similar fashion to how it runs Ant.  Initially this went
> pretty easily, but I am now stuck wrestling with the --dir and --pom
> command line options of Maven.  If I am one directory down from the
> top level of my project, I can successfully run maven with --pom
> ../project.xml.  However, I cannot seem to specify an absolute path
> (with either tcsh or cmd), and trying to use --dir doesn't seem to
> help.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I have tried "d:/work/project"
> and "/cygdrive/d/work/project" and "d:\work\project", all unsuccessfully.

You can use 'maven -f' to "find" the project.xml much like ant finds
build.xml

Maven Inheritance Use

Posted by Mark McBride <ma...@llnl.gov>.
Has anyone found a good way to share a maven "master" project.xml for maven
inheritance between multiple cvs modules?

I noticed that the maven project itself (with regards to the plugins)
stores all the plugin source in the same module so the "master" project.xml
for all the plug-ins can be easily accessed by the multiple plugins within
the same cvs module. How would this be done if all the plugins were stored
in separate modules?

The only way I have imagined this to work is to have a cvs module that
stores the "master" project.xml file. All the modules that use this master
project.xml file must check out the module (with the master project.xml) to
have access to it.  Does this seem like the correct way to do this?

Is there any pregoal to do some work before the project.xml file checks for
the existance of the xml it extends off of? If the user doesn't check out
the module with the master project.xml file they get the following error:
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
C:\eclipse\workspace\project\..\scm\master-project.xml (The system cannot
find the path specified)

Thank in advance!

-Mark

Re: couple of questions

Posted by Joshua Spiewak <js...@ivyventures.net>.
Thanks Siegfried,

I think what I found unintuitive was that Maven used %USERPROFILE% (which
is set to c:\Documents and Settings\Joshua) instead of %HOME% (which is set
to c:\jss).  Granted, on Windows %USERPROFILE% is set by the system, and
%HOME% is set by me.  If it is going to use %USERPROFILE%, shouldn't the
Application Data sub directory be used too?  Could Maven check if %HOME% is
set and use that directory first?  Setting %MAVEN_LOCAL_HOME% takes care of
the repository and plugin directories (assuming I want them in the same
place), but does it also cause Maven to look for project.properties and
build.properties in that directory, or am I stuck putting them in
%USERPROFILE% (which, in case you haven't already figured out, I would
prefer not to do)?

		-- Josh

Re: couple of questions

Posted by Siegfried Göschl <si...@it20one.at>.