Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2016/01/14 09:08:11 UTC

[ANN] Apache Karaf 4.0.4 released

The Karaf team is pleased to announce Karaf 4.0.4 release.

This is an update patch for Apache Karaf 4.0.x, containing many bug
fixes, dependency updates, improvements, and new features.

http://karaf.apache.org/

This release is available from
http://karaf.apache.org/index/community/download.html#Karaf4.0.4 and

Maven:

  <dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.karaf</groupId>
  <artifactId>apache-karaf</artifactId>
  <version>4.0.4</version>
  </dependency>

Release Notes:

http://karaf.apache.org/index/community/download/karaf-4.0.4-release.html

Enjoy!

Re: [ANN] Apache Karaf 4.0.4 released

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yes, I agree about JPA: it's due to changes in Aries JPA. It was
backward compatible if you install the same previous versions, but the
behaviour changed "out of the box". It was a mistake that we did IMHO
(at least in term of documentation): be sure next time we will be more
"vigilant".

Regards
JB

On 01/19/2016 12:08 PM, ellirael wrote:
> Thanks for an answer. But I cannot completely agree with you. One of 4.0.x
> release seriously changed ways of working with jpa and transactions. But
> yes, with backward compatibility.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [ANN] Apache Karaf 4.0.4 released

Posted by ellirael <el...@mail.ru>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Ah ok, got it.

On a minor release, we never break the API, but the API can be enhanced,
meaning we don't change the existing methods, but we can add new
methods. Existing methods changes (signatures, naming, etc) are
performed only on major (4.1.x for instance).

Regards
JB

On 01/19/2016 11:37 AM, ellirael wrote:
> I just see the one of purposes of this mailing group be a knowledge exchange.
> I just want to ask the developers should I take a close view on that
> dependency upgrades to know API changes. Or it is bug fixes only upgrades.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [ANN] Apache Karaf 4.0.4 released

Posted by ellirael <el...@mail.ru>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Honestly, I don't understand the purpose of your e-mail ;)

Do you mean that you found a bug, or a documentation leak, or something
else ?

Regards
JB

On 01/16/2016 08:46 AM, ellirael wrote:
> It may be dependency bug fix or new API introduced.
>
> Like it was with Karaf 4.0.2 version:
> Aries Transaction 2.0.0 is using pure @Transactional annotations. The
> xml only contains an enabled Element to activate this.
> So if you use the new namespace you will use this approach if you use
> the old one nothing changes as it will be handled by the old version.
> Aries JPA 2.2.0 uses an improved mechanism to bind the EntityManager
> service. So your bundle should go into graceperiod until it is found.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [ANN] Apache Karaf 4.0.4 released

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Not sure I understand your message ;)

Did you take a look in RELEASE NOTES ?

PS: I'm upgrading dependencies matrix

Regards
JB

On 01/15/2016 12:13 PM, ellirael wrote:
> * KARAF-4197 - Upgrade to blueprint.core-1.5.0, jpa-2.3.0,
> transaction.blueprint-2.1.0
> * KARAF-4220 - Upgrade to eclipselink 2.6.1
> * KARAF-4230 - Upgrade to Aries Blueprint Core 1.5.0
> * KARAF-4233 - Upgrade to Aries JPA Container 1.0.3
>
> Any new API or other changes here?
> Or bug fixes in dependencies only?

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org