Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/10 17:25:10 UTC

Re: [el] Anyone interested in working on a release?

--- Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com> wrote:

> On 7/31/07, Niall Pemberton
> <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/31/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > There are 11 bugs in EL, many of them pretty big
> and yet no activity
> > > since 2003-08-01.
> > >
> > > Anyone up for working on this?
> >
> > Yes, but I'm going on holiday for 3 weeks soon.
> The main issue IMO is
> > that there are no tests :(
>
> Well, wait, there are probably a lot of tests, but
> aren't they
> contained in some super secret TCK?

Hmm, what _is_ up with this?  AFAICT the ASF doesn't
have a great track record of getting access to TCKs,
no?  Where does that leave us?

> Last time I looked at EL was three years ago, I was
> scared away by the
> idea that Commons EL is an implementation of a JSR
> and that there was
> some sort of NDA involved.

Judging from JSP spec 2.0, and keeping in mind that
IANAL, it didn't look too worrisome to me, actually...

-Matt

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Matt Benson wrote:
>> Well, wait, there are probably a lot of tests, but
>> aren't they contained in some super secret TCK?
>
> Hmm, what _is_ up with this?  AFAICT the ASF doesn't
> have a great track record of getting access to TCKs,
> no?

Not true. The ASF has a great record of geting access to TCKs until Sun
went and blew everything out of the water by voilating their prior legal
agreements re the Java SE 5 TCK.

>> Last time I looked at EL was three years ago, I was
>> scared away by the
>> idea that Commons EL is an implementation of a JSR
>> and that there was
>> some sort of NDA involved.
>
> Judging from JSP spec 2.0, and keeping in mind that
> IANAL, it didn't look too worrisome to me, actually...

I suggest speaking to the Tomcat people as the resident experts in this
area. To be honest, they should really accept [el] back in Tomcat, as it
is innapropriate to be in commons.

Stephen