Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Blaine Fleming <gr...@digital-z.com> on 2008/02/28 21:10:16 UTC

How many use CRM114?

Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious, how many of you are using CRM114?
How well does it work for you?  Was it difficult to train?  I've been
looking at it and haven't found much except the official plugin guide
and a single page saying that it works better than other learning
methods.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Blaine

Re: How many use CRM114?

Posted by Blaine Fleming <gr...@digital-z.com>.
Marc Perkel wrote:

> CRM114? What's that? Can't quite figure out what it does. Is it a pony? :)

CRM114 is another way to intelligently separate the spam from the ham.
It is listed on the SA custom plugins page at
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomPlugins .  So far it works
quite well and learns very fast.  When I first saw it I wrote it off as
some random plugin that didn't make much sense but it has proven to be a
worthwhile addition/replacement for bayes.

--Blaine

Re: How many use CRM114?

Posted by Martin Schütte <li...@mschuette.name>.
Michael Grant schrieb:
> The main drawback I see using this at a server level is that crm114 is
> best trained by telling it that it got something wrong as opposed to
> feeding in a lot of ham and telling it it's ham or spam and telling it
> it's spam.  I guess you would say that this child learns best by being
> punished!

As a user you can safely ignore the train-on-error strategy.
If you just feed a lot of spam and ham into the crm114-SA-plugin (or
directly into mailreaver.crm/mailtrainer.crm) then it will only train
those mails which are not already classified correctly.

> crm114 when it gets it wrong.  This is because the result of crm114
> would be burried inside a spamassassin tag as only one metric of
> spaminess.

That's certainly an issue.

As an advanced user you probably want to set up a filter on hits for
CRM114_UNSURE, CRM114_PROB_SPAM, and CRM114_PROB_GOOD -- these indicate
that crm114 could not classify for certain and the mail should be trained.

--
Martin

Re: How many use CRM114?

Posted by Michael Grant <mg...@grant.org>.
http://crm114.sourceforge.net/

CRM114 is highly regarded purportedly extremely accurate in discerning
spam from ham.

It can be used as yet another metric for Spamassassin to judge whether
mail is spam or ham.

The main drawback I see using this at a server level is that crm114 is
best trained by telling it that it got something wrong as opposed to
feeding in a lot of ham and telling it it's ham or spam and telling it
it's spam.  I guess you would say that this child learns best by being
punished!

This could prove to be impractical in a server environment used in
conjunction with spamassasin where users are not going to punish
crm114 when it gets it wrong.  This is because the result of crm114
would be burried inside a spamassassin tag as only one metric of
spaminess.  It seems to me that crm114 is probably more appropriate
standalone or at least used in such a way that the result of spam/ham
is fed back into crm114 by the user if the result of crm114 is
incorrect.

Michael Grant

Re: How many use CRM114?

Posted by Chris Hoogendyk <ho...@bio.umass.edu>.

Marc Perkel wrote:
> Andrew Hearn wrote:
>> Blaine Fleming wrote:
>>> Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious, how many of you are using CRM114?
>>> How well does it work for you?  Was it difficult to train?  I've been
>>> looking at it and haven't found much except the official plugin guide
>>> and a single page saying that it works better than other learning
>>> methods.  Any info would be appreciated.
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I've only just started using it on a test server, I'll let you know how
>> I find the results!
>
> CRM114? What's that? Can't quite figure out what it does. Is it a pony? :)
>
> --
> Marc Perkel - Sales/Support
> support@junkemailfilter.com
> http://www.junkemailfilter.com
> Junk Email Filter dot com
> 415-992-3401

google.

now, if he had said sec or mon, I could see the point of asking back to
the list. But, crm114 gives you all you need in the first few hits on
the google parade.

---------------

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<ho...@bio.umass.edu>

---------------

Erdös 4

Re: How many use CRM114?

Posted by Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com>.

Re: How many use CRM114?

Posted by Andrew Hearn <an...@aaisp.net.uk>.
Blaine Fleming wrote:
> Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious, how many of you are using CRM114?
> How well does it work for you?  Was it difficult to train?  I've been
> looking at it and haven't found much except the official plugin guide
> and a single page saying that it works better than other learning
> methods.  Any info would be appreciated.

Hello

I've only just started using it on a test server, I'll let you know how
I find the results!

Andrew

RE: How many use CRM114?

Posted by "Stein, Mr. Fred" <FS...@thehill.org>.
I have been using it for 6 month and it is very helpful and accurate when used as a plugin for spamassassin.

Fred Stein
Network Administrator
The Hill School
717 E. High Street