Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2006/01/14 22:32:28 UTC

[VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Javadogs,

I'd like to propose that we release jdo2 beta based on the current
code in the svn repository and a few minor changes.

1. JDO-278 Change the group ids for the project from apache-jdo to

org.apache.jdo for the non-API projects
javax.jdo for the API projects.

2. Change the version on all projects to 2.0-beta. This can be
changed when we make the JDO-278 changes.

3. JDO-279 Distribute the tck20 as a source distribution and the
other components as downloadable binary components. These would go
into the apache maven repository at www.apache.org/dist/java-repository.

I'd like to have everyone's vote by Thursday 18-Jan-2006.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the helpful tips.

On Jan 14, 2006, at 9:52 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> Thanks for the advice. This is my first release.
>>
>> What we are trying to release is several jar files from the jdo2
>> project
>> plus a source download. I'll stage these on my apache.org/~clr site
>> along with instructions on what to do with them.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here, Apache releases are distributed from
> Apache mirrors, not from people's home directories on Apache servers.

This paragraph refers to the staging of the release that will be on
my home directory. The release itself clearly is published elsewhere.

>> Since the tck is a requirement for claiming compatibility with JSR
>> 243,
>> we need to distribute its sources. But the rest of the
>> dependencies are
>> distributed as binaries accessible via maven.
>>
>> So what would you like to see here? We've started the release
>> process,
>> and need a vote to make the components available on the Apache web
>> site.
>> Clearly I can make the binaries available as a maven repository in my
>> ~clr web site but the other part is the process of getting people
>> comfortable with the release process itself.
>
> When Derby was getting started I found the HTTP server release
> guidelines very useful:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html
>
> The HTTP guidelines do talk about source only as a release, but with
> Java projects you don't have the issue of multiple binaries, so a
> release can include the binary (jar files as well).
>
> Derby has a release process on its wiki:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease
>
> I think the point is that a release is what the JDO project wants to
> distribute through the Apache mirrors. People need to vote on the
> actual
> tar/zip that will be posted, not just on a state of the svn
> respository.

The actual tar/zip needs to be available somewhere, which is what I
plan to stage on my home directory.

> For example Derby had some issues with a release where something like
> the scripts files bundled in the jar files did not have execute
> permission, something that was obvious when people tried out the
> release
> to-be, but maybe not from svn.

Thanks for this example.

Craig

Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Dan,

Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Jean,
> On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> [snip]
> Excellent question. We are using the org.apache.jdo package name (and
> group id) for everything in this project except for the API jars which
> are part of the specification and therefore must be named javax.jdo.
>
> These two jars are similar to the javax.jmx and other similar
> geronimo-spec jars that are specified as part of the Java platform not
> simply an implementation. We had originally used the apache-jdo group id
> for the APIs even though they were all javax.jdo classes and interfaces.
> And thought that this was confusing.
> I hope this answers your question.

It does. Thanks,

  -jean

Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jean,

On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Javadogs,
>> I'd like to propose that we release jdo2 beta based on the current
>> code in the svn repository and a few minor changes.
>> 1. JDO-278 Change the group ids for the project from apache-jdo to
>> org.apache.jdo for the non-API projects
>> javax.jdo for the API projects.
>
> Craig,
>
> This might be a dumb question (especially since I mostly lurk on
> this list and rarely pay attention to the posts that go by), but
> will a javax.jdo package be part of the Apache JDO release? And, if
> so, is using "javax.jdo" acceptable given these posts?

Excellent question. We are using the org.apache.jdo package name (and
group id) for everything in this project except for the API jars
which are part of the specification and therefore must be named
javax.jdo.

These two jars are similar to the javax.jmx and other similar
geronimo-spec jars that are specified as part of the Java platform
not simply an implementation. We had originally used the apache-jdo
group id for the APIs even though they were all javax.jdo classes and
interfaces. And thought that this was confusing.

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/
> 200512.mbox/%
> 3c19e0530f0512201125h11565b19i1b6389bab40101cc@mail.gmail.com%3e
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/
> 200512.mbox/%3c20051222034703.GC2319@lyra.org%3e
>
> Those are just two posts from a long, tangled thread. "javax.jdo"
> might be fine, but questions might be raised.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Craig

Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200512.mbox/%3c20051222034703.GC2319@lyra.org%3e

RE: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by "Matthew T. Adams" <ma...@xcalia.com>.
Ditto.  I vote in favor, too.

Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Craig,

I vote in favor.

Regards Michael

Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by Wes Biggs <we...@tralfamadore.com>.
Vote in favor.

Wes

Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta

Posted by Geoff hendrey <ge...@yahoo.com>.
My vote is uninformed since I have been unable to
participate in the TCK process. But I give my yes
vote.