Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Price <mp...@atl.lmco.com> on 2003/04/16 14:39:26 UTC

release heads up

I just realized that I accidently included a HEAD version of apr and
apr-util in the 0.21 release rather than the 0.9.3 versions (copied the
wrong directory).

This doesn't cause a problem on Linux or FreeBSD but could on other
platforms (like Solaris).

Anyone having any problems?

Michael

Re: Which is better to use:(was Re: SVNServe / SSH)

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 10:41 PM, Jeff Stuart wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 22:23:38 -0400 Garrett Rooney
> <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 10:16 PM, Jeff Stuart wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, which is better to use?  Better as defined as easy to use, easy
>>> secure, faster, less likely to cause corruption to repository, etc?
>>> ra_dav via Apache 2 and SSL or ra_svn via SSH?
>>
>> "it depends (tm)"
>>
>> ;-)
>>

> I should have probably prefaced this with the following:  I am
> currently using ra_dav via Apache2 which I currently have.  I'm just
> wondering if it makes any sense to switch over to ra_svn.

do you have any complaints about ra_dav and apache2?  if not, then why
switch?  if you do, then perhaps looking at ra_svn is worthwhile, but i
can't tell you one way or the other if i don't know what problems you
have with ra_dav.

-garrett

Re: Which is better to use:(was Re: SVNServe / SSH)

Posted by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 10:16 PM, Jeff Stuart wrote:

> Ok, which is better to use?  Better as defined as easy to use, easy to
> secure, faster, less likely to cause corruption to repository, etc?
> ra_dav via Apache 2 and SSL or ra_svn via SSH?

"it depends (tm)"

;-)

easier to use?  svnserve is considerably easier to set up than
mod_dav_svn

easier to secure?  do you already have ssh infrastructure?  then ra_svn
over ssh would be pretty easy.  if not, probably about equal IMHO.

faster?  ra_svn is currently faster.

less likely to cause corruption?  that's pretty much impossible to
answer.  i mean if we knew one of them was definately able to cause
corruption, we'd have fixed it.

overall, ra_svn wins in simplicity and speed (at the moment anyway),
ra_dav wins in features (you can do a whole lot with apache if you
learn how) and in stability (it's had more people hammering on it for
longer).

all IMHO of course.  try both out and see for yourself, just to be sure.

-garrett

Which is better to use:(was Re: SVNServe / SSH)

Posted by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net>.
Ok, which is better to use?  Better as defined as easy to use, easy to secure, faster, less likely to cause corruption to repository, etc?  ra_dav via Apache 2 and SSL or ra_svn via SSH?

Re: SVNServe / SSH

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 13:15, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> So no, at the moment, there is no way for the same person to use
> ra_svn and *only* be asked for authentication at commit-time.  I'm not
> sure if there are plans to change this.  Ghudson can talk more to
> that.

In the future, we may implement read access controls, at which point the
client won't know ahead of time whether or not it needs to
authenticate.  So this doesn't seem like a great direction to go in.
(It could try both, I suppose, but that sounds tricky to implement,
since you could hit the "permission denied" in the middle of some
complicated operation.)

Re: SVNServe / SSH

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
You could serve the readonly version via Apache, and require committers to
commit via SSH.

Cheers,
-g

Re: SVNServe / SSH

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: SVNServe / SSH

Posted by Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com>.
On 16 Apr 2003, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to have svnserve run in daemon mode for read-only mode, and
> > use svnserve/ssh for actions that require authentication?  Is there support
> > for this in the client?
>
> Yes, you can run 'svnserve -d -R', for general read-only
> unauthenticated access, and simultaneously require committers to use
> SSH to commit.  No problem with that.

On the server side, I know that this is possible... but how do you do this
on the client side? ;)

-----
There is no OS but Linux,
and Torvalds is its prophet.
(Peace be upon His soul)

Sir.Woody@Hackswell.com       http://sir.woody.hackswell.com

Re: SVNServe / SSH

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

SVNServe / SSH

Posted by Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com>.
Is it possible to have svnserve run in daemon mode for read-only mode, and
use svnserve/ssh for actions that require authentication?  Is there support
for this in the client?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you use SSH, you must authenticate,
even for repository ls or checkout/update.  I think it would be great to not
have to authenticate when you don't need to, but still have a secure login
mechanism for svnserve when you do need it.  Thanks!

-Richard Balint

-----
Some people call me crazy,
but I like to think of myself as a freelance lunatic.

Sir.Woody@Hackswell.com       http://sir.woody.hackswell.com