Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/04/12 10:36:47 UTC

[Phoenix] Clean and Shine

Hi,

I have some spare time over the next bit which I plan to hack at phoenix
again. I am going to be incorporating stuff from Leos proposal and have
already done some of that.

>From his proposal I incorporated the Embeddor with the following changes
* Use Parameters instead of Context to pass around startup parameters (ie
name of kernel etc)
* Removed Manager stuff as it is not fully implemented yet
* I made embeddor no longer deal with a pausable or restartable kernel as I
couldn't think of a good use case. It makes sense for Applications to be
paused/suspended/reset but I couldn't think of a good reason for the kernel.
* Instead of implementing Runnable I instead added a method "execute" to
interface which allows us to propogate exception up to Main.java

I also merged all the ServerKernel+AbstractServerKernel+DefaultServerKernel
as is in his proposal.

I will most likely also merge all the functionality of
org.apache.avalon.camelot.pipeline into 2-3
org.apache.phoenix.engine.phase.Phase's. This will dramatically simplify
things and I think we can get the flexability another way (namely through
pluggable facilities).

I will look at how facilities are laid out after that. ;)
Cheers,

Pete

RE: [Phoenix] Clean and Shine

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Hi,

At 05:00  12/4/01 +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
>> I will most likely also merge all the functionality of
>> org.apache.avalon.camelot.pipeline into 2-3
>> org.apache.phoenix.engine.phase.Phase's. This will dramatically simplify
>> things and I think we can get the flexability another way (namely through
>> pluggable facilities).
>
>+1.5

Okay I completed this yesterday and it look s a lot more simpler now. There
is still complexities but hopefully we can minimize them. Have a look and
see what  you think.

Cheers,

Pete

RE: [Phoenix] Clean and Shine

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
> >From his proposal I incorporated the Embeddor with the following changes
> * Use Parameters instead of Context to pass around startup parameters (ie
> name of kernel etc)

Something I had been thinking about =)

> * I made embeddor no longer deal with a pausable or restartable
> kernel as I
> couldn't think of a good use case. It makes sense for Applications to be
> paused/suspended/reset but I couldn't think of a good reason for
> the kernel.

it depends on how you see it - as a daemon or just another app. Former
is probably better.

> * Instead of implementing Runnable I instead added a method "execute" to
> interface which allows us to propogate exception up to Main.java

good one!

> I also merged all the
> ServerKernel+AbstractServerKernel+DefaultServerKernel
> as is in his proposal.
>
> I will most likely also merge all the functionality of
> org.apache.avalon.camelot.pipeline into 2-3
> org.apache.phoenix.engine.phase.Phase's. This will dramatically simplify
> things and I think we can get the flexability another way (namely through
> pluggable facilities).

+1.5

cheers,

LSD