Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Anshuman Sachdeva <as...@attributor.com> on 2009/05/01 22:13:46 UTC

du command hangs the machine

Hi All,
        My engineers have seen this issue. After every few days the node hangs. we are using xfs file system and when ever hadoop runs "du" command and the data on the file system is really high and it some how locks the directory and we end up rebooting the machine.

A help or guidance from any one will be helpful

Thanks

Re: du command hangs the machine

Posted by jason hadoop <ja...@gmail.com>.
There is a particular problem with XFS that I have only seen on PAE kernels
that can cause XFS deadlocks, on top of the long duration du issue.

We never had a solution but it only seemed to happen on the machines with
the PAE kernels (32 bit kernels with larger than 4gig of physical ram in the
machine).

http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781430219422

Re: du command hangs the machine

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.