Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2005/03/23 06:51:31 UTC

Re: [FINS] is this still alive? JFreeChart option?

Robin

I am also interested in applying it... but my issues are not so
much compatibility but more the points that Jorg raised i.e.
does it expose all of the functionality of JFreeChart - I get
the impression from looking at the docs and the schema that
it only offers a limited subset of the full power of JFreeChart.
So, then, the issues are:
* will Fins (soon? ever?) be upgraded to cover all JFreeChart?
* is it not better to try and find some way to work with
JFreeChart directly (and how easy would this be?

Anyone else with experience in charting that can address this?

Thanks
Derek

PS For what its worth, I have a stylesheet that can build
relatively simple bar, line and pie charts from a "standard"
XML source file (somewhat similar to FINS)... if anyone is
interested.

>>> rob@robinwyles.com 2005/03/23 01:28:26 AM >>>
Jorg,

I used Fins extensively on a project last year (Cocoon 2.1.5), and it
worked great for me.

I've just updated this project to use Cocoon 2.1.7-dev and it works
fine. Minor changes were needed to the Fins build.xml to get it to
build with cocoon - I don't have the details here, but if you need any

more info let me know.

Robin

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
Derek Hohls wrote:

> I am also interested in applying it... but my issues are not so
> much compatibility but more the points that Jorg raised i.e.
> does it expose all of the functionality of JFreeChart - I get
> the impression from looking at the docs and the schema that
> it only offers a limited subset of the full power of JFreeChart.
> So, then, the issues are:
> * will Fins (soon? ever?) be upgraded to cover all JFreeChart?
> * is it not better to try and find some way to work with
> JFreeChart directly (and how easy would this be?

Thanks for confirming my main concern.

@Luca: can you comment on this? Is there an easy way to expose all of
JFreeChart in Fins or does Fins need adjusting for every feature
JFreeChart provides? (i have not looked at the sources yet sorry)

Regards
Jorg Heymans

RE: [FINS] is this still alive? JFreeChart option?

Posted by Adam Ratcliffe <ad...@prema.co.nz>.
Hi Antonio

Are you aware of xReporter http://cocoondev.org/xreporter/index.html?

Out of the box this is likely to handle your report linking requirements and
will output reports in HTML, PDF, Excel, or CSV formats.

>From memory there has been some discussion of FINS integration on the xReporter
mailing list, you might want to take a look at the archives.

Cheers
Adam

Posted by Ulf Sahlin <ul...@s2.se>.
Hello Antonio!

Some time ago, I looked at expanding the Fins wrapper. This is not that
difficult, as you only need to add some logic in the main renderer selector
method within Fins, along with defining your own markup for the data sets.
Merely using new chart types, using the same base-data markup, would be
quite easy.

Other than that, I'm using Fins for a data warehouse application and it's
working great, apart from the Fins serializer being quite CPU-intensive. I
don't how to optimize the serialization, any ideas here?

Best regards,
   Ulf Sahlin

Posted by Ulf Sahlin <ul...@s2communications.se>.
Hello Antonio!

Some time ago, I looked at expanding the Fins wrapper. This is not that
difficult, as you only need to add some logic in the main renderer selector
method within Fins, along with defining your own markup for the data sets.
Merely using new chart types, using the same base-data markup, would be
quite easy.

I'm using Fins for a data warehouse application and it's working great -
apart from the Fins serializer being quite CPU-intensive. I don't how to
optimize the serialization, any ideas here? Compared to other Cocoon-related
activities, the serializer is killing my box.

Best regards,
   Ulf Sahlin

Posted by Antonio Fiol Bonnín <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Derek Hohls wrote:

> I am also interested in applying it... but my issues are not so
> much compatibility but more the points that Jorg raised i.e.
> does it expose all of the functionality of JFreeChart - I get
> the impression from looking at the docs and the schema that
> it only offers a limited subset of the full power of JFreeChart.

Yes, your impression is correct.

> So, then, the issues are:
> * will Fins (soon? ever?) be upgraded to cover all JFreeChart?

We're currently discussing it on the list. It will require substantial
effort, but the fine guys at Outerthought may give us a hand, in view of
Fins integration into xReporter.

> * is it not better to try and find some way to work with
> JFreeChart directly (and how easy would this be?

Well, JFreeChart is still in pre-release, and, while powerful, is
complex and has a penchant for refactoring for refactoring's sake:
changed package names, changed class names, etc.
Needless to say, this attitude has slowed us quite a bit... hopefully
JFreeChart will settle down after 1.0 release.

To sum it up: I don't think going directly to JFreeChart would save you
a great deal of time.

> PS For what its worth, I have a stylesheet that can build
> relatively simple bar, line and pie charts from a "standard"
> XML source file (somewhat similar to FINS)... if anyone is
> interested.

I also thought about a charting software built using XSL and SVG... but
the sheer complexity of doing something more complex than pie and bars
scared me away :(