Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Victor Katte <vi...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/02 11:08:56 UTC

Need some clarity with using Maven 2 alongside the Eclipse and Subversion

Hello,

I am new to these tools and am to understand how they can be configured to
work together. Basically, I have these tools installed and they are working
fine independently, but need to link them up if possible.

My Maven repository is located at C:\Documents and
Settings\Victor\.m2\repository. I have set the environment variable M2_REPO
to point to this location within Eclipse.

I have checked out the source code into a directory called myapp on C drive
(C:\myapp) using Subversion. And have run the following command in the myapp
directory;

mvn eclipse:eclipse -DdownloadSource=true

When I launch Eclipse, it asks me to specify a workspace. Thus my question;
Is the eclipse workspace;

1) the location of the Maven repository, C:\Documents and
Settings\Victor\.m2\repository ?
2) the location containing the source code, C:\myapp ?
3) any arbitary location on the filesystem?

Thnkx
Victor

Re: Need some clarity with using Maven 2 alongside the Eclipse and Subversion

Posted by Thorsten Heit <th...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

> I have to say that this is not the method I user when I import an
> existing project, (that was created through the maven eclipse plugin).
>  I removed several projects from my workspace to double check and I
> was able to view everything fine with the previous method metntioned
> in the email.
>
> Not sure what to advise, anyone else?

File -> New... -> Project... -> Java Project

Project name: <select one>
(x) Create project from existing source

Select the directory that contains your sources. If you executed "mvn eclipse:eclipse" in that directory before, by clicking the "Next >" button the source and output directories shown in the dialog should be filled with the values generated and used by Maven.

HTH

Thorsten

Re: Need some clarity with using Maven 2 alongside the Eclipse and Subversion

Posted by Trent Rosenbaum <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

I have to say that this is not the method I user when I import an
existing project, (that was created through the maven eclipse plugin).
 I removed several projects from my workspace to double check and I
was able to view everything fine with the previous method metntioned
in the email.

Not sure what to advise, anyone else?

Trent

Posted by Victor Katte <vi...@gmail.com>.
Trent,

Posted by Trent Rosenbaum <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Victor Katte <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Trent,

Posted by Trent Rosenbaum <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Victor,

Posted by Thorsten Heit <th...@gmx.de>.
Hi Victor,

> When I launch Eclipse, it asks me to specify a workspace. Thus my
> question;
> Is the eclipse workspace;
>
> 1) the location of the Maven repository, C:\Documents and
> Settings\Victor\.m2\repository ?
> 2) the location containing the source code, C:\myapp ?
> 3) any arbitary location on the filesystem?

3):
The workspace is an arbitrary location on your hard disk where Eclipse

- stores your IDE configuration settings, i.e. window arrangement, open editors, CVS configuration data, available and opened projects, ...
- creates new projects in if you don't specify a different location

Depending on your needs it is enough to just use one single workspace for all of your projects. OTOH, if you work on a couple of huge projects that all consist of different subprojects, you should think about using separate workspaces for each one of these projects. Otherwise you risk losing the overview (which subproject belongs to which top-level project)...

HTH

Thorsten