Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by David Neubert <de...@yahoo.com> on 2007/11/12 20:54:11 UTC

Associating pronouns instances to proper nouns?

All,

I am working with very exact text and search over permament documents (books).  It would be great to associate pronouns like he, she, him, her, I, my, etc. with the acutal author or person the pronoun refers to.  I can see how I could get pretty darn close with the synonym feature in Lucene.  Unfortunately though, as I understand it, this would associate all instances or I, he, she, etc. instead of particular instances.

I have come up with a crude mechanism, adding the initials for the referred person, immediately after the pronoun ... him{DGN}, but this of course complicates word counts and potential prhase lookups, etc..... (which I could probably live with and work around).

But after understanding how easy it is to add synonymns for any particular word in a document, is there any standard practical way to add synonymns to a particular word instance within a document?  That would really do the trick?

Dave

http://mail.yahoo.com