Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by "Zaid Md. Abdul Wahab Sheikh" <sh...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/18 17:04:58 UTC

GSoC 09 project ideas...

Hi lucene,
In this link http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009 , there are no
project ideas for Lucene proper. (Only ideas for Mahout listed). Please put
up some ideas for Lucene there or please mention some popular open issues
that might be suitable as a GSoC project.
I would very much like to work on Lucene during Summer of Code 09. I am
currently researching/doing a project on "Realtime search".
It seems, a contrib exists for realtime search in Lucene.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1313. Can anyone give me an
update on its status? Is that sufficient/complete, or should I start
investigating possibilities of integrating 'realtime' search in Lucene.
Please comment.

Z.S.

Re: GSoC 09 project ideas...

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Z.S.,

I'll update LUCENE-1313 after LUCENE-1516 is committed.  I can post the
basic new patch I have for LUCENE-1313 (heavily simplified compared to the
previous patches), however it will assume LUCENE-1516.  The other area that
will need to be addressed is standard benchmarking for different realtime
search approaches as we don't know what will be best yet.

What areas in regard to realtime search are you working on?

-J

Re: GSoC 09 project ideas...

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I think creating a better Highlighter for Lucene, which is actively
being discussed:

would make a good GSoC project, but I don't think I have time to mentor.

Realtime search is currently in progress already, being tracked/iterated
here:

The original Ocean (LUCENE-1313) that you found was a more ambitious
approach, which after discussions here eventually lead to the simpler
approach in LUCENE-1516.

Mike

Re: GSoC 09 project ideas...

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mar 18, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Zaid Md. Abdul Wahab Sheikh wrote:

> Hi lucene,
> In this link http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009 , there
> are no project ideas for Lucene proper. (Only ideas for Mahout
> listed).

This requires someone (has to be a committer) willing to mentor.  I'd
love to see a Lucene GSOC project, but I'm already mentoring on Mahout
and don't have time for more than one.

> Please put up some ideas for Lucene there or please mention some
> popular open issues that might be suitable as a GSoC project.

As for ideas, what the others said would be good, I'd also add in:
Design/implement the query side of the new TokenStream Attribute stuff
so that we are closer to flexible indexing.

New/updated demo would be great, one that shows off more of Lucene.

-Grant