Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Martin Cordova <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/24 17:26:20 UTC

[snapshot] Questions about next snapshot...

1.- Have a planned date?

2.- Will include latest aproved contributions (ImageIO)

3.- Will be possible to create graphics in awt-headless mode? I would
like to test servlets generating charts (using JFreeCharts) in a Linux
box without a graphics environment.

Regards,
Martin
--
Dinamica - RADical J2EE framework
open source, easy and powerful

Re: [snapshot] Questions about next snapshot...

Posted by Martin Cordova <ma...@gmail.com>.
I can help testing, since I don't have the skills in C/C++.

Usually, what I do on linux boxes is:

1.- Minimal O.S. install, text-only. Include XOrg shared libraries. No
need to start any XOrg related service.
2.- Install my IBM JRE v1.4.2
3.- Start my java server process (servlet engine) with this system property:

-Djava.awt.headless=true

That's it, my servlet can generate graphics in PNG really fast,

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.
> Oleg, I just read it, does this mean that all methods that don't need
> to throw the special Headless exception, are ready to work in headless
> mode? If so, we are just a step away for supporting headless?

No. It is not so.

Re: [classlib][awt] headless support

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.
Theoretically, they should be loaded on demand, i.e. when dlopen is
called. If they dlopen them at initialization step then - yes. But

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: [classlib][awt] headless support (was: Re: [snapshot] Questions about next snapshot...)

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I missed this. I think it is possible to use FreeType library for
the font rendering both on linux and on windows. At present we are
using xft on linux, but I think it is possible to refactor this to the
"pure freetype" code. It may take less efforts than implementing font
rasterizer from the scratch.

Another issue is that we must have fonts themselves for this. Can we
distribute system fonts (e.g. from linux) with harmony? It is a legal
issue, I am not an expert in this area at all.

Posted by Sergey Soldatov <se...@gmail.com>.

--
Sergey Soldatov

Re: [classlib][awt] headless support (was: Re: [snapshot] Questions about next snapshot...)

Posted by Martin Cordova <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cordova <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cordova <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cordova <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 24/10/06, Martin Cordova <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1.- Have a planned date?

No, we don't tend to plan the dates in advance, but rather roll a
developer release/snapshot once we reach a stable point in
development.

Of course, you can build from source (as described in the contributor
link[1] on the project homepage); or wait while we poll the developers
to agree on a good time to snap'.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_contributors.html

> 2.- Will include latest aproved contributions (ImageIO)

Yes for ImageIO -- it will include all the approved contributions that
have been merged into the codebase.

> 3.- Will be possible to create graphics in awt-headless mode? I would
> like to test servlets generating charts (using JFreeCharts) in a Linux
> box without a graphics environment.

I'll let the AWT folk answer that question; I haven't seen a crisp
definition of what it means to run in headless mode (I've seen broad
descriptions, but not a specific list of what works and what throws an
exception).

Regards,
Tim

--