Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Andrey Chernyshev <a....@gmail.com> on 2006/01/23 18:19:18 UTC

Contribution of beans, math and regex libraries

I'm happy to announce one more contribution to Harmony on behalf of
Intel. The archive with the contribution is uploaded to the following
location:

The contribution includes the following class library packages:

1) java.beans
2) java.math
3) java.util.regex

Note that this contribution includes stubs for certain classes from the
java.awt and java.applet packages as well to enable compilation of
java.beans. The stub classes do not yet include the complete method signatures
or their fully-functional implementations. Please be prepared to observe some
unit test failures in the beans package because of that.

The code is a result of efforts of Intel Middleware Product Division team. One
should be able to compile and run this code with the Harmony Execution
Environment available at http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony,
Harmony Class Libraries and Eclipse compiler. The code included with the
contribution is pure Java, we tested it with the Harmony Execution Environment
on Windows and Linux. The implementation is done according to the Java 5 API
specification, though the Java 5 specific language features such as generics
were not utilized. One should be able to run this code with a 1.4+ compatible
JRE/VM.

The build provided with the contribution doesn't include the documentation
target yet until we work out the approach to handling the references to J2SE
spec (we haven't yet removed the com.intel.drl.spec_ref tags from the code).

We hope that the proposed regex package would allow developing the fully-
functional build makefiles for Ant. The detailed documentation regarding the
regex framework can be found under the 'doc' directory.

The archive contains the README file that explains the things doable with this
code. But, should any additional clarifications be required, I'll be happy to
provide them. You are welcome to try it out!

Thank you,
Andrey Chernyshev
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: Contribution of beans, math and regex libraries

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Nice!!! Thanks a ton.

-- dims

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
Everyone, I'll have the paperwork in order ASAP so people can look at it
ASAP with the confidence that all provenance aspects are in order.

geir

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> BTW, all tests from security2 passed because ant script used to run tests
> explicitly adds the required provider to the bootclasspath.

I'm desperately trying not to say "I told you so" -- d'oh ;-)

Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: Contribution of beans, math and regex libraries

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

>Certainly the Bouncy Castle jar contains an implementation of the SHA
>algorithm. Assuming that you have an uncorrupted BC provider jar in
><HARMONY_JRE>/lib/ext, does this failure get fixed by "unsigning" the BC
>jar ?

Well, there is a cyclic dependency here: to verify a signed jar we need
already verified provider that has all required algorithms for jar
verification. To avoid this we can define a 'trusted' provider, for example,
currently a signed provider's jar is not verified if it was added to the
bootclasspath. Or we can create an unsigned provider's jar intended for jar
verification.
BTW, all tests from security2 passed because ant script used to run tests
explicitly adds the required provider to the bootclasspath.

Thanks,
Stepan Mishura

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
> I hit something similar a few days ago (NoSuchAlgorithmException even
> though BC was providing it) and it got fixed by unsigning the provider
> jar. Maybe there is a bootstrapping problem verifying the signed BC
> provider jar ? I'm not sure if there is an open JIRA issue on this.

The problem is: to verify signature of BC.jar some classes from BC.jar
are required. So if BC.jar is unsigned, verification of other jar files
should work.

Thanks,
Mikhail

Re: Contribution of beans, math and regex libraries

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Andrey,

Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
>> java.beans.PropertyChangeSupportTest
>>
>> First two tests were mentioned in the contribution's README.txt that they
>> may fail. The last one failed on serialization.
>>

> Yes, you are right. As far as I can see the PropertyChangeSupportTest
> fails with the following message:
>
>         java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: SHA
>
> Serialization code has to compute the default SUID. To do that, it
> requests message digest with SHA algorithm, e.g. does something like:
>
>       digest = java.security.MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA");
>
> and then fails to get SHA with the default provider package. Could it
> be related to the new security code integration? Were you able to pass
> security2 tests which utilize SHA?
>

> Thank you,
> Andrey Chernyshev
> Intel Middleware Products Division
>

> On 1/30/06, Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried this contribution in the following way: I've substituted the current
>> java.math stub implementation with implementation from the contribution. And
>> I run all security2 tests - most of tests that depend on
>> java.math.BigInteger class passed.
>>
>> Also I run tests from the contribution. All tests passed except
>> java.beans.EventHandlerTest
>> java.beans.SimpleBeanInfoTest
>> java.beans.PropertyChangeSupportTest
>>
>> First two tests were mentioned in the contribution's README.txt that they
>> may fail. The last one failed on serialization.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stepan Mishura
>> Intel Middleware Products Division
>>

>> On 1/23/06, Andrey Chernyshev <a....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm happy to announce one more contribution to Harmony on behalf of
>>> Intel. The archive with the contribution is uploaded to the following
>>> location:
>>>
>>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-39
>>>
>>> The contribution includes the following class library packages:
>>>
>>> 1) java.beans
>>> 2) java.math

Posted by Andrey Chernyshev <a....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.