Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Andy Skalet <ma...@bitjug.com> on 2010/07/02 10:23:44 UTC

Bootstrapper assertion failure

Hello,

I'm a new question asker here but I'll try to give you all the
information you need.
I'm trying to bootstrap a 3rd node into a two node cluster.  I am
specifying an InitialToken of 0 for the new node.  I have replication
factor set to 2, and am using the RackAwareStrategy with digg's
PropertyFileEndPointSnitch.  I'm using an /etc/hosts file to map ips
to short hostnames which the interface bindings and seeds in the
config files use.   Here is what the ring looks like before I attempt
to bootstrap the new node:

$ apache-cassandra-0.6.3/bin/nodetool -h localhost ring
Address       Status     Load          Range
           Ring

138705532905298861485169149262903205000
10.198.7.143  Up         4.57 GB
85070591730234615865843651857942052864     |<--|
10.211.71.241 Up         7.13 GB
138705532905298861485169149262903205000    |-->|

This is with cassandra 0.6.3 obviously.  The exception I get is:

java.lang.AssertionError
	at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getRangesWithSources(BootStrapper.java:146)
	at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.startBootstrap(BootStrapper.java:72)
	at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.startBootstrap(StorageService.java:406)
	at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(StorageService.java:358)
	at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:115)
	at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:211)

I've posted the full debug log, minus the verbose row mutation messages, here:

https://gist.github.com/11fc9eddd524e269e490

I see in the code that the tokenMetadata_ is supposed to have a
non-zero number of tokens in it, which it looks like should be created
by updateNormalToken.  I have no idea why this isn't happening in my
case, however.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Andy Skalet

Re: Bootstrapper assertion failure

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
It's definitely not seeing any other nodes.  Firewall?

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: Bootstrapper assertion failure

Posted by Andy Skalet <ae...@bitjug.com>.

Posted by Rob Coli <rc...@digg.com>.

Posted by Andy Skalet <ma...@bitjug.com>.
Interestingly, if I run with no initialtoken specified, I get a "No
other nodes seen!" exception from the BootStrapper.  Full debug log
(minus rowmutations) here:
https://gist.github.com/df122c109bb9332cd85c

Thanks,

Andy