Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Johan Isacsson <jo...@oddjob.se> on 1999/09/17 12:12:26 UTC

EJB in an open source project?

Hello,

Sorry if this is off topic, i'm new to this list and i dont know if this
has been discussed before.
I'm looking at IBM's WebSphere Advanced Application Server and i began to
wonder if
there is similar open source project. Jakarta seems to be pretty close
expect from the Enterprise Java Beans functionality. So my question is,
are there any open source EJB Application Server ideas involved with the
Jakarta project? If not, does anyone know of such project?

I know IBM is involved in this project, do they have any plans for
implementing EJB in this project?

Thanks for your time,

--------------------------------
Johan Isacsson
Generatorhallen

Re: EJB in an open source project?

Posted by Raymond Racine <ra...@malema.com>.
Two I am familiar with are:
EJBoss
Bullsoft

http://www.EJBoss.com
http://www.bullsoft.com/ejb

Bullsoft, IMHO has reached a level where it can be use for real applications,
if not too big.  They do not, yet, have Passivation, Session timouts... which
currently being worked on.  Bullsoft has corporate sponsership in France and
appears to have a dedicated of small core.

They just released v1.4 which is mostly EJB1.1 and Java 1.2.  It supports
Session and Entity Beans with Container of Bean managed persistence.
They seem to generating code and progressing.

EJBoss has nice fancy Container tools... but is trailing Bullsoft.

EJBoss has a key guy going on full time development soon.  He has been
looking at using portions of Bullsoft code to jump start EJBoss.

Regards,

Ray Racine