Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2008/10/11 22:45:30 UTC

Re: [OT] Why can NOT run Tomcat on my Laptop

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: IceManPat [mailto:patrickstudy@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: Why can NOT run Tomcat on my Laptop
>>
>> C:\>set JAVA_HOME =D:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07
>
> The problem is you have a space before the equals sign; that makes the environment variable "JAVA_HOME " (note the trailing space), rather than "JAVA_HOME".  Take the space out.
>
> Despite Martin G's dire warning, spaces in the value of JAVA_HOME are not a problem; spaces at the end of the environment variable name are.

Allowing spaces in directory and file names was a nutty idea which
has cost more over time than the Iraq war and current financial debacle
combined.  It should be re-regulated.

RE: [OT] Why can NOT run Tomcat on my Laptop

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: [OT] Why can NOT run Tomcat on my Laptop
>
> > That would be the Darwin award :-)
>
> Now, call me thick, but that one I don't get.

Might be a USA thing:
http://www.darwinawards.com/

 - Chuck

Re: [OT] Why can NOT run Tomcat on my Laptop

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
André Warnier wrote:
> Pid wrote:
>> David Smith wrote:

>>> Google for the Darwin Awards.  It's awards for people who through their
>>> own stupidity remove themselves from the gene pool.
>>
>> Maybe there should be a Dawkins award, for people who successfully
>> removed bad ideas from the meme pool.
>>
>> (you may groan, ... /now/)
>>
> Considering what is happening in the world at large, I don't think that
> such an award could be attributed annually though, nor with any kind of
> regularity. Considering how easily they spread and how difficult they
> are to eradicate, it would even seem that bad ideas procure some kind of
> selective advantage (an increase in fertility for example).

See, there is another one, from another thread further down :
quote
The problem was introduced, because in order to allow paths with spaces
in them, a lot of quotation marks were added to the startup script, and
that's what made the difference.
unquote

Aiming at the Dawkins Award thus, I am thinking of starting a parallel
Tomcat distribution called the "ProgramFiles/TheApacheFoundation/Tomcat"
distribution.

Re: [OT] Why can NOT run Tomcat on my Laptop

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
David Smith wrote:
> André Warnier wrote:
>> David Smith wrote:
>>> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> ... for that Microsoft should be awarded the opposite of the

>>> That would be the Darwin award :-)
>>>
>>> --David
>>>
>> Now, call me thick, but that one I don't get.
>>

> Google for the Darwin Awards.  It's awards for people who through their
> own stupidity remove themselves from the gene pool.
>
> --David

Ok, got it, thanks.  Too late for me though.

Re: [OT] Why can NOT run Tomcat on my Laptop

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by IceManPat <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Guys .

Problem solved .... I set the catalina_home varible ....

Thank you so much for all your help...

As I said before I my very new to TomCat...in the near future I may still
encounter different problems with TomCat ....I might still post message here

Thanks again.

Patrick

Posted by IceManPat <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys ,