Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim McLaughlin <ti...@macwebb.com> on 2001/11/08 18:16:55 UTC

Documentation for server.xml and web.xml

Hello,

I have tried for a while now to find some good documentation for the
server.xml and web.xml files.  There are a few specific examples out there,
but I am looking for something similar to the httpd docs.

For example, I am looking for ways to turn off directory listings and just
generally do the things that you can do with httpd.conf.

If such a resource exists besides the Servlet 2.3 spec (which I have), I'd
love to know where!

Thanks!
Tim

Re: Documentation for server.xml and web.xml

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Tim McLaughlin wrote:

> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:16:55 -0800
> From: Tim McLaughlin <ti...@macwebb.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Documentation for server.xml and web.xml
>
> Hello,
>
> I have tried for a while now to find some good documentation for the
> server.xml and web.xml files.  There are a few specific examples out there,
> but I am looking for something similar to the httpd docs.
>
> For example, I am looking for ways to turn off directory listings and just
> generally do the things that you can do with httpd.conf.
>
> If such a resource exists besides the Servlet 2.3 spec (which I have), I'd
> love to know where!
>
> Thanks!
> Tim

For Tomcat 4's "server.xml", all you have to do is point your browser at
the docs included with Tomcat, and then go to "Server Configuration".
They are also available online at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/

For the particular case of turning off directory listings (not yet
included in the online docs), you need to edit the file "conf/web.xml" --
it has comments for what all the settings are.  The option you want is on
the "default" file-serving servlet.

Craig