Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID> on 2018/06/27 08:48:09 UTC

[DISCUSS] Extract examples into own git repo

Hi folks!

While trying to release TomEE-7.0.5 I figured that the Examples as part of the TomEE core project are really counter productive.

* they break the maven-release-plugin, because they don't use the same version
* They pollute the build (samples alone take 15 minutes of our build), which might lower contributions
* They are bound to a specific tomee version, so they cannot easily be tested against another version
* We have many people who want to probably add samples without wanting to go through all the hassle to build full tomee

Of course there are also downsides, mainly:
* by having the samples as part of our build we also have improved test coverage.

Well, since right now almost nobody runs the tests when building TomEE (but instead rely on our CI, because it takes so long) it makes no difference anyway. I'd rather have a core project with decently good test coverage - and people also run it -  than having a bit better coverage which nobody runs.

So I propose to move the Examples to a separate repo and add a separate CI for it.
Of course we should look at how to set it up so we can have samples for multiple EE versions.

wdyt?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: [DISCUSS] Extract examples into own git repo

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark
++1 for this. Examples must not be a test suite, and it is a great idea to
separate them from the main source code. It must be independently build and
execute from main TomEE codebase.
Best
Gurkan

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le mer. 27 juin 2018 à 11:59, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.invalid> a
écrit :

> The multiple test run makes perfect sense.
> The second round of test is performed against a clean checkout from the
> tag.
> That makes sure that the build is really reproducible. That's actually a
> HUGE win and we introduced this in maven for good reasons!

Well with git you create the branch then run tests and then you don't have
to do it agan ever since the hash is constant so you just loose time
redoing it. This is why gitflow doesnt redo it for example.
You would need to redo it only if you mutate the branch/tag which is a
biggest issue if done anyway.

> > What do you propose? Assume we split in 2 repos, you get the exact same
> > issue in the examples repo but need to build 2 repo in the release now,
> > right?
>
> No, the examples do NOT get released. They already get kind of
> half-excluded in our standard release. But just bei weird tricks like
> setting a different distributionMangement which does not exist, etc.

Right but their tests are passed in the release process (and the release
manager generally ensures they run on the release branch).

> > Don't get that, you reduce openejb-core build removing examples which
> > depends on openejb-core? It is not correlated normally. Can you give a
> few
> > more words on that please?
>
> No the examples do not depend on openejb-core but most times on the result
> of the main build.
> Or a different version hereof.
>

> > Can you build master and commit having a green build with regression?
> yes.
> > so it gets worse. That's what i meant.
>
> It doesn't get worse. Because right now most committers don't even build
> with tests enabled because it takes so long.
> Any many of the tests did behave stochastic before I fixed them. And other
> tests only worked with the system being set to en_US.
> So people did solely rely on CI anyway it seems.
> I want to change this and make committers more often run the tests locally
> _before_ they commit.
> And of course have CI of main TomEE + afterwards TomEE-Examples for
> getting the CI quality as we have today.

My 2cts is that you will loose time going that way. When you do a fix you
will not wait 3h to ensure it passes. Even you Mark never run
-Pall-adapters which means you have ~1/3 of the actual coverage for several
modules. We did a fastbuild profile to solve that local build time issue a
long time ago. Maybe just invest in making it better?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: [DISCUSS] Extract examples into own git repo

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Thanks for the feedback!

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,