Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bill Angus <md...@psychtest.com> on 2006/05/29 23:35:17 UTC

[users@httpd] pdf problems?

Hi All:

After upgrading to WIN32 APACHE 2.0.58 (binaries courtesy of Hunter's site - !! THANKS HUNTER !! )..... we had a customer note that .PDF files on our site cannot be displayed in their IE browser. We discovered that if we turn off MOD_DEFLATE, PDF's can be opened again. The eviro is Win2k.

The auto "download and open" procedure associated with the .PDF file type fails if MOD-DELFATE is configured -- The user's browser reports the .PDF file is damaged and cannot be opened. The "problem file" stays in the user's browser's temporary internet files cache, so even after the server is restarted with MOD-DEFLATE turned off.... the user has to clear the browser cache before being able to load and display the PDF correctly.

Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks and have a great day!

Bill Angus, MA
http://www.psychtest.com

Re: [users@httpd] pdf problems?

Posted by "Neil A. Hillard" <hi...@whl.co.uk>.
Hi,

Bill Jones wrote:
> On 5/29/06, Bill Angus <md...@psychtest.com> wrote:
>
>> After upgrading to WIN32 APACHE 2.0.58 (binaries courtesy of Hunter's
>> site -
>> !! THANKS HUNTER !! )..... we had a customer note that .PDF files on our
>> site cannot be displayed in their IE browser. We discovered that if we
>> turn
>> off MOD_DEFLATE, PDF's can be opened again. The eviro is Win2k.
>
> I have seen similar PDF and Flash issues when installing a new Apache
> server on a new box.  Did you install the Apache software to a new
> server or is this install using the exact same PDF data directories?
>
> I ask because if you copied the files between servers how do you know
> they are binary identical?  In my case the files were about 5 bytes
> out of sync -- not enough to break them but just enough so that other
> "issues" came up making the whole mess hard to troubleshoot.

This is more than likely a browser problem.  The following comment
appears in mod_deflate.c:

/* Some browsers might have problems with content types
 * other than text/html, so set gzip-only-text/html
 * (with browsermatch) for them
 */

and see:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html.en#enable

for how to resolve it.

HTH,

				Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@whl.co.uk
Westland Helicopters Ltd.       http://www.whl.co.uk/

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the
            views of Westland Helicopters Ltd.

Re: [users@httpd] pdf problems?

Posted by Bill Jones <te...@gmail.com>.
On 5/29/06, Bill Angus <md...@psychtest.com> wrote:

> After upgrading to WIN32 APACHE 2.0.58 (binaries courtesy of Hunter's site -
> !! THANKS HUNTER !! )..... we had a customer note that .PDF files on our
> site cannot be displayed in their IE browser. We discovered that if we turn
> off MOD_DEFLATE, PDF's can be opened again. The eviro is Win2k.

I have seen similar PDF and Flash issues when installing a new Apache
server on a new box.  Did you install the Apache software to a new
server or is this install using the exact same PDF data directories?

I ask because if you copied the files between servers how do you know
they are binary identical?  In my case the files were about 5 bytes
out of sync -- not enough to break them but just enough so that other
"issues" came up making the whole mess hard to troubleshoot.

HTH/Sx
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/