Posted to dev@sentry.apache.org by Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org> on 2016/02/01 04:41:30 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Sentry

+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Sentry

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.
Just to update on this thread: Charter is being finalized by PPMC
currently. Should be able to start a vote thread early next week.

Have a good weekend you all!

--
Sravya Tirukkovalur

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Sentry

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Sentry

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Sentry

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.
Great! Looks like we have an unanimous agreement on graduating Sentry. We
can start preparing the resolution and also start the vote thread on the
dev list.

--
Sravya Tirukkovalur

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Sentry

Posted by Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>.
+1

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 7:41 PM, Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > Patrick
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Sravya Tirukkovalur
> > <sr...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >

> > > The Sentry project and community has developed in leaps and bounds
> during
> > > its time in Incubation. From fine grained access control to just Hive,
> > the
> > > project has evolved to enable storing/managing policies and enforcing
> the
> > > rules for other Hadoop access methods like Solr, Impala, HDFS,
> MapReduce,
> > > Sqoop, and soon Kafka. On the community front:
> > >
> > > We have many new contributors (~20) who have contributed to the project
> > > during the time of incubation, among which ~8 became committers for
> their
> > > long term contributions.
> > >
> > > We have made 5 Apache releases, which were driven by 5 different
> release
> > > managers.
> > >
> > > We have a diverse set of PMCs from different organizations(~15) and we
> > also
> > > recently passed the vote to make all committers be PMCs[1]. To simplify
> > > logistics, we propose this take effect at the time of graduation.
> > >
> > > We have active mailing lists, JIRA tracking to facilitate communication
> > in
> > > the community. And we also have a monthly high bandwidth communication
> > > mechanism (hangouts) which facilitate the design discussions.
> > >

> > > Given all that, I would like to open the discussion about Sentry’s
> > > Graduation and if community thinks we should start voting to graduate
> > > Sentry. Please find linked Apache model assessment document for Sentry,
> > > contributed by the community [2], which can be used as a reference
> > > checklist. Also see the incubation policy [3] and guidelines[4]
> > >

> > > Apache model assessment document:
> > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENTRY/Sentry+maturity+assessment
> > >
> > > Thanks and looking forward for the discussion.

> > > [1]:
> > >

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-sentry-dev/201512.mbox/%3CCAGQc2gHZ7pSk5KDtEG7WSBmE0%3DaTirx3sreR6tA9Z1fGfYT-kQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
> > >
> > > [2]:
> > >

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-sentry-dev/201511.mbox/%3CCACMN7izrn4Edoy9s2E5d3ZGD_%2BkD3KNJ9Sz-Nee9LZrJh%3Dh%3DeA%40mail.gmail.com%3E