Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2008/08/02 00:12:37 UTC

Re: When and why use DB2UDB jdbc driver instead of the Derby ClientDriver to access a DERBY NETWORK SERVER?

Alan Burlison wrote:

> Related question:  If you want to connect to a Derby instance using
> something other than Java (C, Python Perl etc), what's the recommended
> mechanism?  Google suggests the DB2 driver, but most of the articles
> and howto's are several years old, and date back to the Cloudscape days.

Hi Alan,

IBM no longer provides support for the DB2 driver with Derby  and is not
testing it with new releases. It would be great to see an open source
initiative for an ODBC driver for Derby.  Although this is often
requested, I don't think we have a Jira entry for it yet.  Perhaps you
could open one.

Kathey

Re: When and why use DB2UDB jdbc driver instead of the Derby ClientDriver to access a DERBY NETWORK SERVER?

Posted by Kim Haase <Ca...@Sun.COM>.
After looking into this some more, I think a problem with the
UsesOfDerby page is that it consists entirely of links to other sites
(off the wiki). There are a number of apparently obsolete IBM links,
including one to the "IBM DB2 JDBC Universal Driver" under "JDBC
Drivers." I feel hesitant to remove this (or any other) link, since I am
not really familiar with what IBM supports and doesn't support, for
earlier versions of Derby in particular (the links seem current as of
Derby 10.1).

The HintsAndTips page actually seems to be where people put links to
other Derby wiki pages. It might make more sense to use HintsAndTips for
the DB2 info.

Kim

Posted by Kim Haase <Ca...@Sun.COM>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Kim Haase wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:

>>> If the driver is no longer supported and isn't being tested against
>>> new Derby releases, then it makes sense to me to remove references
>>> from the Derby user manuals. Maybe the information could migrate to
>>> the wiki along with a note stating that the DB2 driver is not
>>> supported or tested anymore.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> -Rick
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion, Rick. I can file an issue to remove the
>> info from the docs. I'm not so familiar with the wiki, so I'm not
>> quite sure where to move it to --
>>
>>  - The JDBCSupport page? How up to date is this (it predates JDBC 4)?
>>  - HintsAndTips?
>>  - UsesOfDerby?
>>
>> Kim
> Hi Kim,
>
> I have very bad instincts when it comes to categorizing this kind of
> information. However, UsesOfDerby sounds like a good place to me.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

Thanks, Rick, I'll work on that.

Kim

Re: When and why use DB2UDB jdbc driver instead of the Derby ClientDriver to access a DERBY NETWORK SERVER?

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Kim Haase <Ca...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Kim Haase <Ca...@Sun.COM>.