Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by ju...@gmail.com on 2016/03/11 05:46:17 UTC

crisis needs encode my legal documents

dear, open office support team

this Julio wright I needs your help to encode deactivate the code barrier restore my legal document with open office please restore my document thank you SMALL CLAIMS LAWSUIT WRIGHT VS. HERBERT KING!!.odtSMALL CLAIMS LAWSUIT WRIGHT VS. HERBERT KING!!.odtSMALL CLAIMS LAWSUIT WRIGHT VS. HERBERT KING!!.odt

Sent from Windows Mail

Re: crisis needs encode my legal documents

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:46 PM, <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> dear, open office support team
> this Julio wright I needs your help to encode deactivate the code barrier
> restore my legal document with open office please restore my document thank
> you SMALL CLAIMS LAWSUIT WRIGHT VS. HERBERT KING!!.odtSMALL CLAIMS LAWSUIT
> WRIGHT VS. HERBERT KING!!.odtSMALL CLAIMS LAWSUIT WRIGHT VS. HERBERT
> KING!!.odt

Hello Julio. Not certain what is going on based on your email. I think of
two possibilities immediately.

1. The files were saved with passwords. If this was done then the password
used to encrypt the files is required to open them.

2. The computer in question has been infected with "ransomware", a type of
malware that encrypts files and requires payment to the thief before the
decryption key is provided. Be advised payment does not always result in
restored access to the files. Also, depending on the particular version of
ransomware, it may be vulnerable to decryption software that has been
created in response to ransomware. The decryption software is freely
available but very specific to a given ransomware. And decryption tools are
not available for the majority of ransomware.

Protection from situation 1 and 2 is available if backups have been
routinely performed. If backups have been being done restore the files from
backup at the point in time they were not encrypted. If backups have not
been being done START NOW to avoid similar crisis in the future.

If backups are not available the only solution to #1 is to determine the
password used to save the files (some others may suggest password cracking
tools, if you're one of those people - please suggest, I have no experience
with OO password cracking tools). And the solution to #2 is figure out what
particular version of ransomware encrypted the files and look to see if an
appropriate decryption tool exists -or- decide to pay the ransom and gamble
whether access to the files will be restored -or- accept loss of the files.

The final possibility for recovery is recover from hard copy if available.