Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com> on 2009/09/14 16:10:56 UTC

Re: What would be the best way of allocating more memory to the compiler ?

I get this:javac: invalid flag: -J-Xmx512m
Following your indication, I get:
javac: invalid flag: -Xmx512m

I believe it might have to do with the order of the parameters.

I don't think the -J is a jruby thing, from the output of javac and
various google searches, I found it is used for javac:
javac --help
javac: invalid flag: --help
Usage: javac <options> <source files>
where possible options include:
  -g                         Generate all debugging info
  -g:none                    Generate no debugging info
  -g:{lines,vars,source}     Generate only some debugging info
  -nowarn                    Generate no warnings
  -verbose                   Output messages about what the compiler is
doing
  -deprecation               Output source locations where deprecated APIs
are used
  -classpath <path>          Specify where to find user class files
  -cp <path>                 Specify where to find user class files
  -sourcepath <path>         Specify where to find input source files
  -bootclasspath <path>      Override location of bootstrap class files
  -extdirs <dirs>            Override location of installed extensions
  -endorseddirs <dirs>       Override location of endorsed standards path
  -d <directory>             Specify where to place generated class files
  -encoding <encoding>       Specify character encoding used by source files
  -source <release>          Provide source compatibility with specified
release
  -target <release>          Generate class files for specific VM version
  -version                   Version information
  -help                      Print a synopsis of standard options
  -X                         Print a synopsis of nonstandard options
  -J<flag>                   Pass <flag> directly to the runtime system

The javac man page also has a good paragraph about it.

Yes, it's a first for me as well to see the compiler run out of memory.
Let's just say the classpath englobes half the Apache maven repo... (and no,
I can't do much about that.)

Thanks,

Antoine

Posted by Mat Schaffer <ma...@schaffer.me>.
Huh, I stand corrected.  Apparently the -J is a convention for passing
options to the underlying VM in more than just jruby. Learn something
new every day.

Have to tried assembling a javac command yourself and running it? I
wonder if buildr might be putting that option on the end or some place
where javac isn't happy with it.

-Mat