Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by William Mok <wm...@memotrax.com> on 2005/08/05 22:51:49 UTC

SOAP addressbook example

Hi,

I am trying to run the SOAP addressbook example. I am following the steps in
http://www.soapuser.com/server3.html.
The java files for the addressbook is located in

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\webapps\addressbook\WEB-INF\classes\samples\addressbook

I have a startup script located in the bin directory and sets all the class
path C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\bin

set CLASSPATH="C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\common\lib\soap.jar"
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;"C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\webapps\addressbook\WEB-INF\classes\samples\addressbook"
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;"C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\common\lib\activation.jar"
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;"C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\common\lib\mail.jar"
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;"C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\common\lib\resolver.jar"
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;"C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\common\lib\xercesImpl.jar"
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;"C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\common\lib\xercesSamples.jar"
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;"C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\common\lib\xml-apis.jar"
java -cp %CLASSPATH% org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://localhost:10000/soap/servlet/rpcrouter deploy "C:\Program
Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\webapps\addressbook\WEB-INF\DeploymentDescriptor.xml"

The startup script runs fine and I have verified that the soap is startup
properly because I can access the page
http://localhost:10000/soap/servlet/rpcrouter

When I try to run the command under the bin directory, it gives me the error

java samples.addressbook.GetAddress
http://localhost:10000/soap/servlet/rpcrouter "John B. Good"

I got the error NoClassDefFoundError: samples/addressbook/GetAddress. I have
noticed that some people on the mailing list have also difficulty in running
this example. Please give me some advice as I am a beginner in java.

Do I need to create a jar file for the addressbook example?
May be I set something wrong in the deploymentdescriptor.xml file?

Re: SOAP addressbook example

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
If you are a beginner, I suggest you use Apache Axis rather than
Apache SOAP. (Apache Axis is Apache's primary SOAP engine. It
superceded Apache SOAP about 3 years ago.)

See http://ws.apache.org/axis.

Anne

Posted by Martin Cavanagh <ma...@yahoo.com.au>.
maybe its long since irrelant...

but I'm using Tomcat 5.5 and have previously used Tomcat 4.0

My experience is that the classpath is totally irrelevant -

the directorys I'm listening come from Tomcat 5.5 - but they shouldn't
be too different in Tomcat 4.x

just place the jar files in C:\Tomcat\common\lib - anything in this
folder (or in the classes folder) is effectively in the classpath - it
is available to all applications on the tomcat

or even better place them in the matching webapps\my_application\WEB-INF\lib
Anything in this folder is accessible, only to that web application
(where I would place your JAR file)

I hope that helps

Martin