Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ryan Zielke <rz...@iphase.com> on 2004/07/29 15:17:19 UTC

questions regarding subversion

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Ryan Zielke.  I am with Interphase Corp.  I have a couple of
unsolved questions regarding Subversion.  I was hoping you can respond to
them and email the answers back.

What is the best minimum bandwidth for running subversion?

Can subversion hold other file types that are not source code?

Can subversion control privileges on a per-user and/or per-project?

Does subversion have automatic source customization, automatic regression
testing, and/or automatic build procedures?

Thank You,

Ryan Zielke

Re: questions regarding subversion

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 10:17, Ryan Zielke wrote:

> What is the best minimum bandwidth for running subversion?

The best bandwidth is the "most" bandwidth, obviously.  :-)

Subversion sends diffs in both directions between client and server.  It
was designed for slow, low-bandwidth WAN connections.

> Can subversion hold other file types that are not source code?

Yes.  Subversion treats all files as 'binary blobs'.  It doesn't know
what source code is.

> Can subversion control privileges on a per-user and/or per-project?

Yes, and it can control access to individual directories within a
project, and even to branches and tags.

> Does subversion have automatic source customization, automatic
> regression testing, and/or automatic build procedures?

No, Subversion only tracks versions of files and directories.  It does
not edit, build, or test code.