Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pierre Monestie <pm...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/23 00:42:03 UTC

maven repository and artifact caching

Hello,
I'm not sure I fully understand the 'philosophy' of maven:
If developper A does on artifactA:
 -mvn compile
 -mvn deploy
Assume the artifact is correctly deployed on the repository

Now developper B comes and tries to compile artifactB which DEPENDS on
artifact A.
Shouldn't maven bring the last repository version before compiling,
even if the artifactA version number has not changed?
Or is it that maven sync the local cache only if the artifact version change?
It tried it and it doesn't seem to update unless I change the version
number in the pom file.
Is there a way to force this behaviour?
Thanks,
Pierre

Re: maven repository and artifact caching

Posted by Pierre Monestie <pm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Stephen, that did it. I guess I didn't understand at first the
maven concept of SNAPSHOT.
Thanks again,
Pierre

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
It only checks if the version number changes.  If you want it to
redownload even though the version number hasn't been explicitly
changed, you need your versions to be SNAPSHOTs.  Such as
2.3-SNAPSHOT.  Then you can configure how often to download snapshots
from the remote repository.

-Stephen

On 3/22/06, Pierre Monestie <pm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm not sure I fully understand the 'philosophy' of maven:
> If developper A does on artifactA:
>  -mvn compile
>  -mvn deploy
> Assume the artifact is correctly deployed on the repository
>
> Now developper B comes and tries to compile artifactB which DEPENDS on
> artifact A.
> Shouldn't maven bring the last repository version before compiling,
> even if the artifactA version number has not changed?
> Or is it that maven sync the local cache only if the artifact version change?
> It tried it and it doesn't seem to update unless I change the version
> number in the pom file.
> Is there a way to force this behaviour?
> Thanks,
> Pierre