Posted to community@apache.org by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/28 05:10:24 UTC

Re: Returned post for committers@apache.org

I question the labeling of Cobertura as our dogfood and Clover as not
our dogfood.

Which is 'our dogfood', the GPL product or the proprietary product
built on top of permissively licensed Open Source (not that I know if
Clover is like this; but I've heard the same argument against JIRA)?

Do we support the "Open Source movement", whatever that might be
described as today, or our users?

Hen

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

 (why wasn't an Archiva set up)

more to the point, it seems people don't know what we run these days.
(see below)

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Talking about our own dogfood, it probably makes a better argument
> > Nexus (used in the ASF) vs Archiva (Apache project)

Actually, we run both:

http://vmbuild.apache.org/archiva/browse

Gav...

Re: Returned post for committers@apache.org

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Nexus/Archiva one still also falls into the GPL vs Permissive camp
though. A better one is Proprietary Sun Java vs Harmony.

Generally the answer on 'internal' tools, is that volunteer and merit
is more important than product dogfooding (why wasn't an Archiva set
up?). On 'external' products (i.e. why doesn't Tomcat ship with
Harmony), we recognize that decoupling and independence are both
architecturally valuable and helps us socially (Tomcat don't have to
wait on Harmony to release).

Cobertura vs Clover exposes, I think, a 3rd axis. Pragmatism. Clover
was definitely the better product when I looked many years back, I
suspect it still is. Also a 4th: Choice. No reason why both can't be
used.

Hen

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.